Wipers only slow, no intermittent on 1982 with upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
Finally got things back together, for the second time, on my 1982 GMC 1 ton dually flatbed with 1991 Chevy TBI 350+700R4 swap.

Along with installing a tilt steering column out of a newer Suburban, I changed from the dash mounted wiper switch to the column mount and also added the intermittent wiper adapter box. That's in the normal location, fits behind the metal panel below the column exactly like it was meant to be there.

But all I get is one wiper speed, super lazy slow. No high speed and no intermittent operation. At some point the motor was changed with one from NAPA, still has the sticker on it.

Supposedly the motor didn't have to be changed due to the intermittent function being self contained in the addon box, but apparently that advice wasn't correct - or could the box be bad? I have another box with part of its housing broken, but can't see it when installed.

kenny78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer(2) k30&k20
Engine Size
Take the later intermittent out and plug the two wires together. That will give you non intermittent but will give hi/lo if if the switch and motor are correct.

Did you change all the wiring and motor to the newer setup or splice wires?

Did the original 82 have intermittent-off topic but curious

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
Pretty sure I cut wires. It did not originally have intermittent wipers. From what I dug up, the dash mounted intermittent wiper setup was never common (IIRC the first year of it was different, perhaps even needing a wiper motor just for that system) and getting the switch and other parts to retrofit or repair isn't cheap, and you're still left with a hard to reach wiper switch.

Easiest first troubleshooting step will be to swap the box and see if I got a bad one from the salvage yard.

I'm not using the cruise control function of the TS/Wiper arm. May install cruise at some later date.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well, as they say, "A slow wipe is the best wipe".

:dogpile: :bleh: :crazy:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8