Wiper/ turn signal switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
So my high beams are stuck on permanently , nothing happens when I pull lever back to put on low beams. The turn signals work, wipers do not. I assume all that is same switch which seems very hard to get to. Am I right? If so, what all has to come off? Seems like its way down in column.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Your high/low beam switch is mounted on the collum under the dash. You may have a bad wiper motor possibly.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, I’d see if the wiper motor is getting juice, as well.

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
As far as the high /low beam, when I pull the lever back, there is no click. Should there a be a " click"?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Is the lever seated all the way in the switch?

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sounds like signs of bad switch or switch is out of adjustment.

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Yes as far as I can tell it is in all the way. So if its a bad switch, is that a pain to get to?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well, the reason I ask is I’ve seen them not all the way in but they look and feel like they are, and the dimmer won’t click. In the same situation, however, the turn signals will engage. I’d doublecheck that before proceeding because that’s what it sounds like to me. Otherwise, I’ve never had the pleasure of replacing the switch so I can’t speak to it.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The dimmer switch is exposed on the driver's side of the steering column. AC Delco # D832. Under $20.

You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Looks like this inside the column:

Expose the switch, toggle the stalk and observe whether the actuating rod is moving. The switch position is adjustable by loosening the screw and nut. If the rod moves a sufficient amount, but the switch doesn't click, you could try to move the switch closer to the end of the rod.

But, if you do that, be careful not to disturb the position of the ignition switch. They share the same securing fasteners:

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
OK, so I got the dimmer exposed so I could see it . when I pull lever , the dimmer is moving , but, no change in lights. So , could dimmer move but still be bad ,contact inside not contacting , or would it point to wiring problem?

Oh, I think lever stalk is pushed in all the way, I tried pushing and twisting it in several times, cant get it to go any further.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I couldnt get my highbeams to turn off eithier. Ended up the switch was melted and burned together swaped out that part and worked fine afterthat. Kind of a pain to get to but it can be done.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
OK, so I got the dimmer exposed so I could see it . when I pull lever , the dimmer is moving , but, no change in lights. So , could dimmer move but still be bad ,contact inside not contacting , or would it point to wiring problem?

Oh, I think lever stalk is pushed in all the way, I tried pushing and twisting it in several times, cant get it to go any further.

When the stalk is toggled between HI/LO beams the actuating arm moves toward the switch about 1/4". As suggested above - if the switch is working properly - it should emit an audible click. The click sound is pretty loud - usually loud enough that it can be heard under all driving conditions.

Check the nut and screw that secure the mounting plate to the column. If they are tight, that would indicate that the switch hasn't moved from its original location - so re-adjusting it probably won't help.

If there is no click (and the switch hasn't shifted from it's proper position), you can be fairly confident that it isn't a wiring problem - the switch is bad.

You have already done most of the steps involved in changing a headlight dimmer switch. Get a new one from almost any auto parts store for about $20. Then:

1. Disconnect the harness from the switch

2. Mark the positions of both the dimmer and ignition switches in relation to the securing fasteners with a Sharpie. Also note how the two mounting brackets are stacked - I think the dimmer switch bracket goes over the ignition switch bracket. Remove the two mounting fasteners:

3. Put the new switch in place and bring the nut/screw up - but only fingertight

4. Align the switches using the locating marks you made earlier

5. Tighten the fasteners, reconnect harness to switch and test both switches (i.e. the starter operates and the beams flash up/down)

6. If both switches seem to be properly located, close up - you're done.

If you find it difficult to do this procedure in the tight space above the column. Remove the nut securing the column support bracket and lower the column until the steering wheel rests on the front seat:

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
When the stalk is toggled between HI/LO beams the actuating arm moves toward the switch about 1/4". As suggested above - if the switch is working properly - it should emit an audible click. The click sound is pretty loud - usually loud enough that it can be heard under all driving conditions.

Check the nut and screw that secure the mounting plate to the column. If they are tight, that would indicate that the switch hasn't moved from its original location - so re-adjusting it probably won't help.

If there is no click (and the switch hasn't shifted from it's proper position), you can be fairly confident that it isn't a wiring problem - the switch is bad.

You have already done most of the steps involved in changing a headlight dimmer switch. Get a new one from almost any auto parts store for about $20. Then:

1. Disconnect the harness from the switch

2. Mark the positions of both the dimmer and ignition switches in relation to the securing fasteners with a Sharpie. Also note how the two mounting brackets are stacked - I think the dimmer switch bracket goes over the ignition switch bracket. Remove the two mounting fasteners:

3. Put the new switch in place and bring the nut/screw up - but only fingertight

4. Align the switches using the locating marks you made earlier

5. Tighten the fasteners, reconnect harness to switch and test both switches (i.e. the starter operates and the beams flash up/down)

6. If both switches seem to be properly located, close up - you're done.

If you find it difficult to do this procedure in the tight space above the column. Remove the nut securing the column support bracket and lower the column until the steering wheel rests on the front seat:

Caution!! Before proceeding with the above highlighted step, disconnect the little shift indicator cable where it attaches to the shift lever collar.. Not doing so will damage the shift indicator..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes