Wiper arm removal… Don’t laugh!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
There is probably some special tool for this and mine are probably stuck on with a little bit of patina, but I figured I’d ask anyhow. The driver side wiper arm came off OK, but the passenger side is being a B word. My eventual goal is to remove the cowl and vacuum out 30+ years of whatever is down there. As you can see in the picture I put a few dings in the wiper post already and figured I’d better stop and ask before I broke something. The videos I found on YouTube aren’t for this exact truck. The ones they are for our own vehicles were they don’t mind prying against the cowl for whatever reason.

You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
That little clip hanging out is the key.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Spray some PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil up into the shaft/arm mating area and let it sit overnight.
Wrap one end of a rag around the base of the wiper arm and pull with a wiggling motion.
Patience. It will soon come off.

Been there, done that.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Spray some PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil up into the shaft/arm mating area and let it sit overnight.
Wrap one end of a rag around the base of the wiper arm and pull with a wiggling motion.
Patience. It will soon come off.

Been there, done that.
Sounds like a plan. I’ll definitely put a coating of some waterproof grease on there before it goes back on.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
From the picture the arm looks torqued slightly. I would push down first to center it again on the shaft. Try to use more upward pressure near the retaining tab side since the other side is under tension from the spring in the arm.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
From the picture the arm looks torqued slightly. I would push down first to center it again on the shaft. Try to use more upward pressure near the retaining tab side since the other side is under tension from the spring in the arm.
Okay, I’ll give that a go too.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Okay, I’ll give that a go too.

From the image shown above, it looks like the cap is cocked on the capstan...

Uh oh, never mind - just saw that Craig already got it.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Are you moving in in the right direction?
I used a tiny pick and pulled it away from the post so it’s no longer resting in the recess below the splines. Same technique as the driver side, but the driver side came right off.

Is that correct?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I used a tiny pick and pulled it away from the post so it’s no longer resting in the recess below the splines. Same technique as the driver side, but the driver side came right off.

Is that correct?

Yep, same exact as the other side. I found it easier to raise the arm from the windshield and use that to lift the one side while using a flat head screw driver to pry against the clip and lift it away in a small wiggling motion.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Yep, same exact as the other side. I found it easier to raise the arm from the windshield and use that to lift the one side while using a flat head screw driver to pry against the clip and lift it away in a small wiggling motion.

That’s kind of what I was doing. I’m letting it soak per previous suggestions. I have a knack for pulling too hard and breaking stuff on accident.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
That’s kind of what I was doing. I’m letting it soak per previous suggestions. I have a knack for pulling too hard and breaking stuff on accident.
Don't break your crank pulling so hard...

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Patience Grasshopper. Except for automobile racing, the race goes to the slow and steady.

Slugnutty

Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Just pulled off the arms on my 84 C-20 and I needed to MAKE SURE they came off straight, just as soon as I twisted, pushed, pulled the arm it bound those tiny fine "teeth" and did not budge.

Straight out off the stub they clip to and had very little problem - same for getting them back on directly back on to the stub that drives the arms no twisting, pushing, pulling until the clip snaps back in to place.

Good luck friend, I can already hear me swearing at them both on and off too....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400