Wing windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
One of the things I love about these trucks is the wing windows and mine dont open. How hard is this to fix without breaking anything?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
One of the things I love about these trucks is the wing windows and mine dont open. How hard is this to fix without breaking anything?
Probably easier to replace with a whole working unit? Which side.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have a driver side left but if you need both that don't do you any good. Did you try soaking the pivots in anything. Removing the whole mechanism from the door would be the easiest. 2 screws and a little bolt gets it out and the door panel of course.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I have a driver side left but if you need both that don't do you any good. Did you try soaking the pivots in anything. Removing the whole mechanism from the door would be the easiest. 2 screws and a little bolt gets it out and the door panel of course.

I have not messed with it, I had found some in a junkyard but the wind track was damaged so I left them. THere was duct tape on them when i bought the truck and they make terrible wind noise, grouped with the rust that was under the Silverado trim guess I just find doors in better condition.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
They are probably taped up because the glass would fly out my 76 did that I opened the fukr and not a mile down the road there went the glass.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8

Ha, I have always called them smokers windows. They are nice to open on warmer days. If the window doesnt give you enough air flow. I havent had to mess with mine, but I think they need new rubber parts as it needs all new window seals. Hope you get yours working!

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
I just got the new rubber for mine (1986) and the fasteners kit with the new rivets, probably going to attempt everything in 2 weeks. My Drivers side I snapped the rivets off the other day, so since all the felts and rubber were wasted, just got the complete set of everything from LMC. I can let you know how the process goes, still waiting on new power window motors since I will be in there and want to try the wiring upgrade for the motors while I'm at it too.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I removed the tape to try and open but it doesnt move and hasnt fallen out. Ive heard that too, i like for all the air they force in the truck when its nice out.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I removed the tape to try and open but it doesnt move and hasnt fallen out. Ive heard that too, i like for all the air they force in the truck when its nice out.
Pull your door panels and remove the wing assy. There is a tension spring that has probably rusted fast.

xylorex

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
383 -Forged Scat rotating assembley, Edelbrock ProFlo EFI, Roller lifter/rockers, CompCams XFI268
Has anybody tried the one-piece replacement window kits?

obviously costs more money, but seem like it would eliminate several problems.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I thought there was a member on here who had converted, but while it does remove the issues that commonly occur, I think most of us prefer to have them for the added ventilation.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Has anybody tried the one-piece replacement window kits?

obviously costs more money, but seem like it would eliminate several problems.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I bought an older truck for the wing windows.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I had someone at work say that my truck looks like a busted ass vehicle. I asked which of all those cars were even half the age of my truck and that if their Honda makes it to be 34, we will talk. Then they were surprised that I had power windows and locks. Then they said I should shave my bumpers and bring them closer into the truck and repaint the truck and .... I told them they watch too much t.v.

Keep the vent windows, it freak people out.

Relectric69

Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Just got an email from LMC last week and they are now selling completely new wing/vent window setups which includes everything. Just remove and replace entire unit. $200 each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28