Wing window seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charlesg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
k3500
Engine Size
How do I replace the seal on the wing window???

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Several videos on youtube. Some here have done it and hopefully will chime in once they see this. Lots of people use precision parts rebuild service $$$.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It's something you have to see to get a grasp on or so I think so I second the YouTube suggestion. Essentially, it takes some relatively gentle, careful wiggling and maneuvering to get the frame out of the door, unbolting the hardware off the bottom and keeping it in order, and punching rivets and re-riveting what you undid. Actually installing the seals is a piece of cake if you have the right parts. Check to see if you have two piece or one piece seals BEFORE you order the seals because the specified year range is ********. My '87 had two piece seals, and a member sent me a frame from an '89, and it had two piece seals, too. Unfortunately, I ordered ahead of time, but another member took the new one piece seals off my hands. I highly recommend you get new window run channels if you're going to all that trouble. I would say don't worry about it if yours are nice and supple, but I highly doubt they are. Mine were completely brittle.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
This is the video I used in March when I rebuilt mine. I probably watched it 3 or 4 times just to be sure I had knowledge of repair. It is quite a job. It was my first vent window rebuild. I was happy with the finished product though.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

charlesg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
k3500
Engine Size
So it seems there are different wing window glass, the one that came out of the truck has a rounded top, and the replacement I got is more pointy, any idea what years the rounded version came in???

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
So it seems there are different wing window glass, the one that came out of the truck has a rounded top, and the replacement I got is more pointy, any idea what years the rounded version came in???

73-80 has the pointed tops. 81 & up are more rounded.

JimSam

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Go to Brotherstrucks.com They have a great video showing a total wing window rebuild plus they sell all the rivets you'll need to replace when you grind yours out. We have to do the same on the 86 k20. The price of a new window and frame is insane! Good luck

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
This is the video I used in March when I rebuilt mine. I probably watched it 3 or 4 times just to be sure I had knowledge of repair. It is quite a job. It was my first vent window rebuild. I was happy with the finished product though.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

now that's a detailed video series on vent seal replacement. Part 6 or 7 for the pita bit. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8