Will this cluster backing plate fit my 73?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=74

Item #14. They don't have one that specifically states it will fit 73-77. I called and they said that it will only fit a 78-79, but I don't believe them. I ordered new gauges and need to use a stock backing plate. I did get a large tach so I'm thinking that it would work as this one states it is intended to be used with tach.

Will it work?

Thanks.

Brandon

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Will it physically fit in your dash...yes
will it work with the way your plug is pinned....no
will it work with your wiring harness....no... you will have to repin your plug plus ad wire for what will be an electrical oil pressure gauge instead of mechanical.
You need to do a lot of research before you just plug up that cluster to your 73. There is a potential for wire harness meltdown if you get it wrong.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Will it physically fit in your dash...yes
will it work with the way your plug is pinned....no
will it work with your wiring harness....no... you will have to repin your plug plus ad wire for what will be an electrical oil pressure gauge instead of mechanical.
You need to do a lot of research before you just plug up that cluster to your 73. There is a potential for wire harness meltdown if you get it wrong.

Good to know. So I'll have to do some digging. Care to help me out a bit regarding the re-pinning? Do you mean the panel plug? I'm new to this so go easy on me.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Good to know. So I'll have to do some digging. Care to help me out a bit regarding the re-pinning? Do you mean the panel plug? I'm new to this so go easy on me.

I don't know the specifics of how the wires are arranged(pinned) in the cluster plug but I do know that the 73-75 clusters with gauges are pinned different than the 76-77, 78-87 as well as the clusters not equipped with gauges are pinned different. If you were installing a tach cluster 73-75 and if your truck was gauge equipped you would be ok but since you are basically installing a 78-87 tach cluster into a 73 you will need to repin.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
1973- some 76s has an ammeter, some 1976/1977+ have voltmeters. Two very different animals.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The ammeter is the least of the worries. Repinning your plug is the hardest.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The ammeter is the least of the worries. Repinning your plug is the hardest.

Re-pinning the plug is the easiest part! Get a wiring schematic to know which wire needs to go where, and a small screwdriver, and go to it!

Re-wiring the truck to go from an ammeter to voltmeter is more work. You can't simply plug in a voltmeter gauge in place of an ammeter gauge and be good to go. I am told there is a good chance of starting a fire, although I have never done this conversion.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
So long story short of what I'm getting here is.....get the proper gauges from the get go :shrug:

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Gauges are on the way, and I'll figure all the wiring out as I'm installing them. I do need to find a backing plate however as I will need one for the gauge plates to mount too. Mine is falling about and I don't think super glue is the way to go. LMC has a 3 different version, but none specifically for a 73.

But if a backing plate for a 78 will physically fit, and since I'm getting new gauges anyway, I should be good to go right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly