Wideband- a short story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tobe's84Jimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tobe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra Classic
Engine Size
5.7 350
i’m heading out to go to work this morning, truck starts, back down the driveway to warm it up on the street, truck coughs and dies(!). the truck restarts but dies shortly after. did my MSD die!?! ****! no cause it keeps starting. hmm. okay lets turn on the wideband, and,.. i’m getting a flat 18:1, what?! is it working? so i back out the idles on the carb a 1/4 turn, no difference. when i hit the gas it runs down to 12:1 and then dies, but restarts every time. fuel filters look good, the pump is new, but those lines look,.. aha!! there’s a kink in the feeder side and its a rubber section so i readjust it. truck is running good, idling at about 11.5:1 after putting the idlers a 1/4 turn back, yay! i would have wasted way more time troubleshooting if i didnt have that wideband, The End .

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
i’m heading out to go to work this morning, truck starts, back down the driveway to warm it up on the street, truck coughs and dies(!). the truck restarts but dies shortly after. did my MSD die!?! ****! no cause it keeps starting. hmm. okay lets turn on the wideband, and,.. i’m getting a flat 18:1, what?! is it working? so i back out the idles on the carb a 1/4 turn, no difference. when i hit the gas it runs down to 12:1 and then dies, but restarts every time. fuel filters look good, the pump is new, but those lines look,.. aha!! there’s a kink in the feeder side and its a rubber section so i readjust it. truck is running good, idling at about 11.5:1 after putting the idlers a 1/4 turn back, yay! i would have wasted way more time troubleshooting if i didnt have that wideband, The End .

11.5:1 holy hell, why so rich?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Isn't 14:1 optimal? We are talking about AF mixture right?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
A/F ratio is 14.7:1

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A/F ratio is 14.7:1
Yep, Yep, I member now now that you mention. I was almost right. Many don't know I was the bad guy in Cali for awhile. I did the training course and ran smog tests. I was the guy that could either make or ruin your day with a PASS or FAIL !!! 14.7:1 was a big one to remember when the CO and HC weren't right. To rich fail HC's, to lean, cause a lean misfire and fail CO's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406