Which Torque Converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The star works like a normal prnd21 until its in 1st and lift the t and pull it back then it's a forward ratchet with a positive stop at 3rd.

I like that one too, it's great for the price. I like the Megashifter and Quicksilver better though. The Mega and Quicksilver are also 4 speed compatible if needed, the Star is not. Mega and Quicksilver also support Reverse Valve Body pattern. Never know when you might upgrade, downgrade, swap trans models etc, and that's why I prefer the Mega and Quicksilver over the Star even though the Star is a good shifter. You're just limited with options is all.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I hear ya man. I Ran a 350 in my v8 S10 most were stick or a glide and lately th400. I almost did build a glide for ole Willy lee but I had the 400 left over and it's fresh so in it went.

By all means, if the Th400 is staring at you, I'd use it too. I don't hate'em. They're just not my 1st choice cuz they're overkill. Glides are hard to find these days and expensive when you do find one. And then expensive again to do the upgrades they need for racing. There's an aftermarket kit out now to make Th400's into 2 speeds that bandless and spragless. Expensive but very effective. If I'm not mistaken, Monza on Street Outlaws in the Split Bumper Camaro is running one of those.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I like that one too, it's great for the price. I like the Megashifter and Quicksilver better though. The Mega and Quicksilver are also 4 speed compatible if needed, the Star is not. Mega and Quicksilver also support Reverse Valve Body pattern. Never know when you might upgrade, downgrade, swap trans models etc, and that's why I prefer the Mega and Quicksilver over the Star even though the Star is a good shifter. You're just limited with options is all.

I gave 20 bucks for it at a flea market and another 10 for a new 8' cable off Craigslist. This 400 is mated to the same BB it was in the Chevelle except now it has more compression and a roller cam. I just figured with the BB and weight of the truck the 400 would be best.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I gave 20 bucks for it at a flea market and another 10 for a new 8' cable off Craigslist. This 400 is mated to the same BB it was in the Chevelle except now it has more compression and a roller cam. I just figured with the BB and weight of the truck the 400 would be best.
Perfect combination.. :waytogo:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Now if I could find another Eaton or a spool for the back rear I'd be rollin right along. I've got a 30 spline Eaton up front now.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

You're right. I'd run a Th400 behind a Big Block too. Especially one with some compression and a mild cam making some big torque.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You guys may be confusing the heck out of the OP, who has a stock 350 engine and TH350 trans. All he is looking for is a torque converter!

I don't see any reason to buy anything other than a stock rebuilt converter for his year/model truck. My truck has a "Recon" brand converter I bought from Transtar for $67 a couple years ago. It works great, has a 4-year warranty, and bolted right up to a generic Summit Racing 153-tooth flexplate.
https://www.transtar1.com/products/torque-converters/product-info/recon

If you have a store in your area, I highly recommend Transtar for auto transmission parts. Their prices are usually lower than Internet vendors and much lower than auto parts stores. And you name it, they got it, like a brass screen filter for $3.59 and plastic dust cover for $11.03.
https://www.transtar1.com/contact/locations/all-locations

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Lol. OP hasnt been heard of since the first post...

This thread kicks ass.

There's no reason to NOT use a th350 convertor, :imo:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Lol. OP hasnt been heard of since the first post...

This thread kicks ass.

There's no reason to NOT use a th350 convertor, :imo:

I had the same thought about the OP.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You guys may be confusing the heck out of the OP, who has a stock 350 engine and TH350 trans. All he is looking for is a torque converter!

I don't see any reason to buy anything other than a stock rebuilt converter for his year/model truck. My truck has a "Recon" brand converter I bought from Transtar for $67 a couple years ago. It works great, has a 4-year warranty, and bolted right up to a generic Summit Racing 153-tooth flexplate.

If you have a store in your area, I highly recommend Transtar for auto transmission parts. Their prices are usually lower than Internet vendors and much lower than auto parts stores. And you name it, they got it, like a brass screen filter for $3.59 and plastic dust cover for $11.03.

I answered his question in post#2

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Yep, OP got his answer early on, so now the off-topic somewhat related content after the fact doesn't really matter much. If someone chooses to continue to read, then so be it.

I do have a local Transtar here in OKC and their prices seemed to high to me vs where I normally get my kits from mailorder out of FL. I did figure I'd get my converters from them though. Then I didn't see to many good reviews on the 700r4 converters. Just about everyone can reman a good Th350 and Th400 Non Lock up converter. But if the Recon comes with a 4 year warranty, I wouldn't have a problem trying it. Transtar has also acquired Dacco Converters now too. Also, in the 700r4, I've seen a few complaints about the Dacco Converters. I ran many Dacco Th350 and Th400 converters in my builds back in the day, never had an issue with a single one of them. However that was over 25 years ago and **** changes, and I do mean ****. Things are not generally made they used to be. :shrug:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've never had any issues with anything from Daaco, been using them since the late 70's..

PFenstermaker

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 sbc
Ha, thanks guys, that's a big help. Sounds like the 350 converter is a no brainer.

And I was raised in the muscle car world, so it's always fun to read about other people's setups - whether or not it's on topic. ;)

Thanks again.
- Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL