Which filter and how much fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truekoa

Reaction score
First Name
Khoa
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to change the filter and fluid in my '84 TBI 5.7 with an automatic trans. I'm fairly confident its a 700r4 but I'm going to have to verify to be sure - are there different amounts of fluid to be used between the different trans that came on these trucks?

What brand of filter/fluid and how much fluid should I be purchasing? Any tricks I should be aware of when doing this or it will be a simple remove the filter, drain the fluid, install new filter, add new fluid ?

Thanks again.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The 700R4 has a square, 16 bolt pan. Pulling the pan, you'll probably lose almost five quarts of fluid. Just get five quarts of Dexron or the Dexron equivalent from the store. If it's a four speed, it's a 700R4. The other two automatics that would have come on that year model are three speeds, but you're looking at about the same amount of fluid. The old filters had a separate seal, but it's integrated on the new ones. So look up in the hole to see if you see the little metal rings with rubber on them, and if they are pick them out with a flathead screw driver and seat the new filter in. After that, fill it back up (not too much or too little), and you're done.

truekoa

Reaction score
First Name
Khoa
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The 700R4 has a square, 16 bolt pan. Pulling the pan, you'll probably lose almost five quarts of fluid. Just get five quarts of Dexron or the Dexron equivalent from the store. If it's a four speed, it's a 700R4. The other two automatics that would have come on that year model are three speeds, but you're looking at about the same amount of fluid. The old filters had a separate seal, but it's integrated on the new ones. So look up in the hole to see if you see the little metal rings with rubber on them, and if they are pick them out with a flathead screw driver and seat the new filter in. After that, fill it back up (not too much or too little), and you're done.

got it, thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
77MarshallR