Which End of Speedo Cable goes Where?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike609

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
400 cid
Replacing the speedo cable on my 1980 k20. There's a nut on one end of the new cable about an inch from the end and nothing on the other end. I am guessing that the nut end would be on the instrument panel end of the cable so that the cable can be pulled out from the housing for lubrication, etc., when the speedometer is removed. But then, the opposite could be true as well. Looks like it might work either way. Which way is correct?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The flared end with nothing on it goes into the speedometer. There’s a release button right above where it attaches that releases it from the speedo. The end with the nut is the transmission/t-case end.

Mike609

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
400 cid
Thanks Jesse! I thought it might have been that way when I removed it from the cable housing for lubrication, but I didn't pay close attention to it and was not sure. Thanks for the quick reply!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg