Where do you buy your parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srfinatsunset

Reaction score
First Name
Remington
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 Camper Special 3+3
Engine Size
So I need a few parts. I looked at Brother’s, classic industries, LMC, rock auto, local parts shores and amazon and prices very a lot. What would be/cause the prices difference.

For fuel sending unit prices range from 49.99$ to 99.99$ same parts and picture different seller.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So it seems you've check the big ones already. Prices vary on business model, expected or projected profit margins, inventory as in overstocked or not and maybe wanting to clear the shelves etc.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
RockAuto has been good to me when they don’t gouge you on the shipping or have a core fee. There’s a five percent discount code for them in their preferred vendor section, too. I’ve also found good deals on Amazon and eBay. I haven’t found the stores to be any cheaper than online in anything yet. Maybe the same, just a couple dollars more, or a lot more. Plus, the selection is up to you online and not the store.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I shop local when I can a lot of my bbc add-ons came from a local speed shop. Amazon will kill all the local stores so I do my part to keep em around even if I spend a few extra$$

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A few extra bucks is one thing, but when it's a major difference I certainly do online purchasing. Those little local places will keep alive selling fluids, batteries and such. I do give them the option to get close on price if they can at times. Sometimes they cans, sometimes they can't.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
For general items, like the fuel sender mentioned, I use Rockauto to get the part number, then google it to death. I do wind up using Rockauto and Amazon the most though.

FOr restoration pieces, I prefer Classicparts.com, I get alot of my sheetmetal from Classic Parts or Browns of Two Rivers.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would be suspicious of a part that looks that same and is twice the cost between two sellers. I try to buy from trusted sources and forum supporters when possible, which include all of whom you mentioned.

Many online retailers (not referring to anyone specific here) will "hook" you with a great price, then whack you with overpriced shipping and handling fees. I've found a lot of times that by the time its landed on my doorstep I could have gotten it in town for the same price and saved me the shipping time.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Plus when you buy at "home" you have someone to yell at if something goes wrong. I hate yelling at a dead phone or my computer. Sometimes you just like to reach out and "touch " someone

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I've found a lot of times that by the time its landed on my doorstep I could have gotten it in town for the same price and saved me the shipping time.

I have only had this be true on heavy items and core items anything else the local parts stores are twice the price, thats how they can offer a lifetime warranty. If it will cost me almost the same or I plan on using the warranty, I will buy local.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I have only had this be true on heavy items and core items anything else the local parts stores are twice the price, thats how they can offer a lifetime warranty. If it will cost me almost the same or I plan on using the warranty, I will buy local.

Same, just went to Napa for waterpump gaskets yesterday, they're only a block away, locally owned, why not grab them and finish up? 12.49 each, an LS takes 2. Amazon, 9.00 for a pair...

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Seems to vary for me. Not sure if it's my location or not. The business I work for ships thousands of small packages annually so I'm in tune with shipping rates. I buy everything from powersport parts to truck/car stuff, depending on what project my son is working on.

Sometimes I'll run across a great "deal" on a snowmobile part from ahem, Babbits, for example. Yet their shipping and handling costs are insane relative to the size and weight of the part. So I just buy it local.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Where I buy my parts is determined largely on what I'm looking for but my main places i get stuff from is LMC (they're local to me), Rock Auto, O'Reilly or eBay (if I have a specific part number I'm looking for).

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Seems to vary for me. Not sure if it's my location or not. The business I work for ships thousands of small packages annually so I'm in tune with shipping rates. I buy everything from powersport parts to truck/car stuff, depending on what project my son is working on.

Sometimes I'll run across a great "deal" on a snowmobile part from ahem, Babbits, for example. Yet their shipping and handling costs are insane relative to the size and weight of the part. So I just buy it local.

Lol, Babbits is in the same city I was born in, never knew it was a big online deal until way later in life.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Where I buy my parts is determined largely on what I'm looking for but my main places i get stuff from is LMC (they're local to me), Rock Auto, O'Reilly or eBay (if I have a specific part number I'm looking for).

Watch O'Reillys prices I worked there when I went back to school, I priced an ac compressor it was cheaper after shipping from rockauto even after my employee "discount"

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Watch O'Reillys prices I worked there when I went back to school, I priced an ac compressor it was cheaper after shipping from rockauto even after my employee "discount"
No doubt. I always price check around and get the best prices I can. I go to O'Reilly more when I need something now or when it most convenient. I use Rock Auto when it's a part that I need in the future (a week or later) and can get a much better price on vs O'Reilly. I usually try to plan ahead on my maintenance items, but obviously all the planning in the world doesn't always alleviate the crisis repairs :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg