Where can I get an OEM thermostat for a 1974 Chevy C10 with a 454?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hopefully they are not motorad in AC Delco boxes
That's a really good question. IDK what the deal is with motorad, they have always been crappy. When they bought out stant I thought they'd improve, but now the stant name is gone and motorad is the same poor quality, although now motorad is much easier to find :(. Murray thermostats are reboxed motorads. Napas economy stats are reboxed motorads and the premiums are Altrom's, I know they make a lot of OEM parts for German cars, so I'd probably trust an Altrom stat, certainly I'd trust it over motorad. I can get gates thermostats at the shop and is what we have been using, but I really have no idea how easy they are to get retail.

And then caps! I use to love Stant caps, now what? I've tested the release pressure on a lot of new caps to find them below spec. Again if you can find a Gates cap they seem to be pretty good.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
That's a really good question. IDK what the deal is with motorad, they have always been crappy. When they bought out stant I thought they'd improve, but now the stant name is gone and motorad is the same poor quality, although now motorad is much easier to find :(. Murray thermostats are reboxed motorads. Napas economy stats are reboxed motorads and the premiums are Altrom's, I know they make a lot of OEM parts for German cars, so I'd probably trust an Altrom stat, certainly I'd trust it over motorad. I can get gates thermostats at the shop and is what we have been using, but I really have no idea how easy they are to get retail.

And then caps! I use to love Stant caps, now what? I've tested the release pressure on a lot of new caps to find them below spec. Again if you can find a Gates cap they seem to be pretty good.
I'll keep an eye out for Gates. I have switched to Gates on a lot of things that I used to get a known name brand part for. I was glad to see Gates making various parts. I did not know they did until the last year or two, and they are a known name brand.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Well, op did you find one? Lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
AC is re-boxing parts like many other brands.
This is true, but this is always my quandary on reboxed parts. Are they built to the same specifications? We know Wix makes both Napa filter lines and carquest filters and Microgard, but we also know from independent oil filter test that they are not all the same. Wix branded filters and the Napa premium line might be the same, but we know Napa's economy filters, Carquest and microgard are different from Napa branded, and not the same within each other either. So is a motorrad thermostat in a Napa box the same? Or is it made to different specifications? I don't think anyone of use knows for sure, when I think about cardone it seems like the same poor quality across the board so who knows. But I like to think, and I could be completely wrong, but I like the think AC Delco boxed parts are being made to ACDelco specs, but who knows!

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is true, but this is always my quandary on reboxed parts. Are they built to the same specifications? We know Wix makes both Napa filter lines and carquest filters and Microgard, but we also know from independent oil filter test that they are not all the same. Wix branded filters and the Napa premium line might be the same, but we know Napa's economy filters, Carquest and microgard are different from Napa branded, and not the same within each other either. So is a motorrad thermostat in a Napa box the same? Or is it made to different specifications? I don't think anyone of use knows for sure, when I think about cardone it seems like the same poor quality across the board so who knows. But I like to think, and I could be completely wrong, but I like the think AC Delco boxed parts are being made to ACDelco specs, but who knows!
Have had good luck with AC parts even though box says china, korea, ect. Yeah, who knows for sure. I bought 2 window regulators one was ac other was dorman. They were identical down to the plating color. Both made in china.

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
So, what say you guys on going to a 180° vs the stock 195°? I recall this 3/4 ton, 454 was running at 210° before we started tare down. Inside radiator very clean, looks like it was replaced at some point.
Should be interesting...

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
195 works better overall for a street vehicle, and can possibly help gas mileage and driveability.

Using a 180 might get you a few more minutes before it hits 210, but has no capability to reduce the max temp. At 210 degrees both a 180 and a 195 are wide open.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
So, what say you guys on going to a 180° vs the stock 195°? I recall this 3/4 ton, 454 was running at 210° before we started tare down. Inside radiator very clean, looks like it was replaced at some point.
Should be interesting...
When I was younger I always used to pick the coldest Tstat I could find. In my mind, it would open sooner so the engine wouldn't have the chance to get as hot, therefore running cooler overall and making more power/more reliable. Probably false, but I never saw a downside either. Sitting in traffic it will still creep up to the same temp, but when moving especially at higher speeds, opening sooner just means the radiator will start cooling sooner, so it can only possibly keep the temps lower in those situations, obviously won't make the thing run hotter in any situation. It will get as hot as it gets in certain situations, but opening sooner will obviously cause the engine to be kept cooler in some situations, even if it's only in the perfect scenario. No downside as far as I'm concerned. Go ahead and run it...

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
In general, engines have better combustion efficiency and gas mileage when they are running hotter, up to a point. You give up some power and gas mileage if it’s too cool. Most modern cooling systems seem to be designed to run in in the range of 210-230 degrees, but older systems like our trucks were usually designed to run closer to 195-200.

I get uncomfortable when I see the temp going above about 200-205, and my 195 thermostat seems to keep it there very well.

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
Perfect pro and cons, or just simple good info. Lol, yes I don't like temp getting to 210° Interesting note, I see this truck has a small metal electric fan on front side, infront of AC condenser. Haven't seen it move or checked out yet. But if related to AC I we still have to fix/replace compressor etc.

Attachments

• 20231003_085157.jpg
    20231003_085157.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad