whats the best lift kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83 K20

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i currently have a 1983 k20 and I'm looking for a 4 inch lift so i can still fit my truck in my garage I'm building this truck on a budget because I'm in high school and don't have a lot of money i was looking at rough country but then i found zone offroad and i like them more because it looks like it has everything i need like the steering arm. any advice or suggestions helps

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The best lift kit is the one that fits in your budget and skill set and that will achieve what you want it to. Everyone has their preference some like Skyjacker some like Tuff Country and Rough Country and you will have people that complain about any or all. If you go by the 3 steps listed previously you will get the BEST lift kit for you.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I've had Rancho, Skyjacker and Tuff Country on various square body trucks. I thought the Tuff Country EZ Ride was the best. I'm going with that on my '85 too.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I pieced mine together. Definitely not the cheapest option though. Love the ride of it though.

Front:
EZ Ride 4" springs
Drop Pitman arm
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks

Rear:
Stock 52" springs
ORD 4" Shackle Flip
ORD HD Shackles
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Rough country 6" lift springs up front
Rough country 2" add a leaf on the rear with a Super lift shackle flip. The kit came with 4" blocks for the back but blocks and torque don't usually work out so well hence the shackle flip. People complain Rough country is harsh but I'm hoping with the extra weight of the iron headed big block and th400 it will soften it a bit if not it isn't a Caddy it's a truck. Oh and no sway bar sway bars at not conducive to good weight transfer.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I have a tuff country ez ride that I bought for old 2500 Suburban because I heard good things about it. Its a 3" front spring 4" rear block lift with nitro shocks. I ended up never using it. If you're close to eastern PA I would let it go pretty cheap.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
It's all a matter of opinion. There are a ton of options available which makes it hard to choose.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have had good luck with skyjacker but there is a ton of people that like tuff country. I have ran, (back in the day), rancho , trailmaster , rough country , pro comp and they were to stiff for my liking. If you put the kit on yourself make sure you follow the torque specs on everything as not to over tighten , (not good for suspension movement).

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I have had good luck with skyjacker but there is a ton of people that like tuff country. I have ran, (back in the day), rancho , trailmaster , rough country , pro comp and they were to stiff for my liking. If you put the kit on yourself make sure you follow the torque specs on everything as not to over tighten , (not good for suspension movement).

^^This^^.
Tuff Country springs give the best ride. Most of the others are vastly over sprung and your truck will ride like a brick shat house.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
A step up would be Deaver Spring
or
Offroad Design's custom job.
These spring have like, 10 very thin leafs.
I would imagine ORD would carry a lower price point than Deaver but I don't know for sure.
These are the kind of springs you need if you want to vastly improve the ride, off-road and on road.

I think many of the mall cruiser suspension companies make their lift springs over sprung on purpose.
After all, they are called "lift kits". The bulk of their customers just want to life and big rubber up their trucks
for cruisin the mall...no?
If those 4" (or lordy higher) over arched springs actually flexed the posers would be complaining to the company
about the bend fenders and cut tires like, everyday.

So my friend Billy it depends what you want your truck and big tires for. Do you want to make it difficult
for girls with dresses to climb aboard or do you want your girls to come equipped with fishing gear, hiking boots,
flashlight and a decent knife?

motohead77

Reaction score
First Name
Colby
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
I have deaver long travel springs on mine had to move the shackles 2-3 inches back. It rides amazing like no other lifted solid axle truck I have been in. Hitting the expansion joints on the freeway by the bridges use to send me almost into the top of the cab now I can barely feel them. Also when I use to drive off the occasional curb (urban off-roading)it use to toss me to the side, now same thing it feels like nothing. Hands down the best money I ever invested in my truck was the suspension with walker Evans shocks and my truck has gears built motor trans transfercase etc. It's for sale

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Rough Country is exactly that.... rough, but its budget friendly. I put one of their 4" lifts on my k10 and i cant really complain for the cost. If you want a smooth ride, buy a car.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Rough Country is exactly that.... rough, but its budget friendly. I put one of their 4" lifts on my k10 and i cant really complain for the cost. If you want a smooth ride, buy a car.

Zach, you can do better than that. Terrible advice my friend.
It's not just about ride quality but safety and functionality.
And BTW, Tuff Country is in the same ballpark as Rough Country price wise.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Zach, you can do better than that. Terrible advice my friend.
It's not just about ride quality but safety and functionality.
And BTW, Tuff Country is in the same ballpark as Rough Country price wise.
I got Rough Country and main reason is because the others wouldn't warranty or advise their front springs being used with a big block. I have their 6" kit just not using the rediculous 4" blocks went shackle flip in place of them. I als got the Energy Suspensions bushing kit the RC kit came with poly but of unknown origin so they weren't used.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisd9997