What type brake fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerry phillion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I think I made a big mistake. Yesterday I topped off my brake fluid. Problem is, right after i did this,
I realized I put in synthetic fluid. I heard it won't blend with reg dot 3. I don't know for sure. I don't
Remember buying it. However, I did not pump brake pedal, so I siphoned fluid out of master cylinder.
Have to buy more now. What I need to know is what type of brake fluid is used on 87 r10, 350,700r4
2wd. Don't want to put wrong fluid in. Thanks. Jerry

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I think I made a big mistake. Yesterday I topped off my brake fluid. Problem is, right after i did this,
I realized I put in synthetic fluid. I heard it won't blend with reg dot 3. I don't know for sure. I don't
Remember buying it. However, I did not pump brake pedal, so I siphoned fluid out of master cylinder.
Have to buy more now. What I need to know is what type of brake fluid is used on 87 r10, 350,700r4
2wd. Don't want to put wrong fluid in. Thanks. Jerry
DOT 3

Jerry phillion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I also looked into the brake fluid thing a little further, and was advised That all dot3 fluid, including synthetic fluid, are compatible. But, it must be dot3.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
Dot 3, Dot 4, Dot 5, Dot 5.1, synthetic race, etc.

DOT 3/4/5.1 are all glycol ether based and backwards compatible. DOT5 cannot be mixed with any of the other three.

What kind you put in doesnt matter as long as you put in the correct grade or HIGHER. Dont put DOT 3 in a system designed for DOT 4 or DOT 5.1. they are however, backwards compatible. you can put DOT 5.1 or DOT 4 in a system designed for DOT3 with no ill affects.

Mixing any other grades is not recommended and should be avoided.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
You can substitute dot4 for dot 3 but be advised that the "system" brake fluid will default to the lower boiling point of dot3, if that is the majority. Adding a dab of dot4 will NOT make all of the fluid read dot4 capabilities.

In order to switch, you would have to perform a total system flush. Capisce?

You COULD switch from dot3 to dot4 no problem.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You can substitute dot4 for dot 3 but be advised that the "system" brake fluid will default to the lower boiling point of dot3, if that is the majority. Adding a dab of dot4 will NOT make all of the fluid read dot4 capabilities.

In order to switch, you would have to perform a total system flush. Capisce?

You COULD switch from dot3 to dot4 no problem.
Catfeesh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike