What oil should I use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Just because you don't visibly see the leak doesn't mean it isn't evaporating out some or only leaks while driving. Idle running isn't enough to test the cap, usually. The only real way to test the cap is with a pressure tester.

As far as the rad, they're almost all aluminum anymore. What you want is more rows. You may have 2 rows of core, then go for 4... IF it'll fit. You can always add an inline trans cooler to run in series with the rad OE version. HotRodPC mentioned that one with 4 rows above for $200. AGAIN... only if you have to take that route. VERIFY the cap 1st.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Okay, my friend came over and we found the radiator almost empty. We then bought some stop leak to provide a temporary fix. I will be looking for a new radiator. I ran the engine for 30+ minutes and did not see any fluid coming out from the cap. Everything was dry.

Do on to the next question: The truck has a transmission cooler and secondary fan in front of the existing radiator. He suggested an aluminum radiator because this truck tows my 5000 pound camper and my bass boat. What should I look for in a new radiator?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
What I posted already up there.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-ROW-ALUMI...id=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&mehot=lo&sd=151566212594

Yep, a little late for the stop leak now. I avoid it like the plague. If you're lucky you might have a heater core that will allow coolant to pass through come this winter or a thermostat that does get sealed off or stuck open or .... Aluma seal or the powdered shavings is the most you'd want to put in a cooling system. Stop leak is for a vehicle you're trying to sale and trying to milsead a buyer which I've never bring myself able to do.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Many times when going to an aluminum radiator, you don't need as many cores. Aluminum discipates the heat quicker and the aluminum radiators have the tubes closer together so there is actually more capacity in a 3 core than the old 4 cores. 4 cores is better though, especially if you're going to be towing.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Many times when going to an aluminum radiator, you don't need as many cores. Aluminum discipates the heat quicker and the aluminum radiators have the tubes closer together so there is actually more capacity in a 3 core than the old 4 cores. 4 cores is better though, especially if you're going to be towing.
Mine is 2 row.....but the tubes are 1.25" wide and it's got 3" tanks. Yes it's aluminum.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Thanks for the info in Chattanooga. The stop leak was a total disaster. I now have more problems than ever! Hopefully I can get this done quickly

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Flush it all out.... use straight water, drive around for 20 mns, & re flush it. Keep doing that until you get most of it out.

Hopefully it's just a lesson learned with that stop leak crap. Do not use anything that has a stop leak in it in the future. This goes for oils, a/c freon, tires, etc. Usually does more harm than good & then mechanics don't want to touch it after.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Gotcha. It should be called make a leak. Thermostat gasket is shot

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Ordered the new radiator t stat today. I am assuming that I still need to flush out as much **** as I can. Is that right?

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Ordered the new radiator t stat today. I am assuming that I still need to flush out as much **** as I can. Is that right?

This is correct. This way it doesn't contaminate the new parts.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
After one flush...
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's not a favorable color. Case and point, the flush needed done. Looks a little rusty. And a rusty cooling system holds heat and doesn't discipate heat like it's designed to do. This could be why you are running warm, and me too come to think of it since my fan clutch is in good shape.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Second flush was better, but still nasty...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Keep diggin. I've used distilled vinegar in mine it's cheap and works on rust. 2 or 3 gallons run it to temp and let it sit over night rinse and repeat as needed.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Do I dilute the vinegar?

Latest posts