What oil should I use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Thermostat was replaced at the same time the coolant was replaced too. I'll post a pic of the engine in the morning. Thanks for all your help! This truck is a "functional rebuild." I have replaced the carb, air filter, alternator, distributor, plugged all vac lines except the one going into the canister from the gas tank, new headers, exhaust, and thermostat. This truck is going to get me divorced if I have to keep replacing parts LOL!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
New, doesn't always mean it's not a bad thermostat. We see it a million times on here where someone bought something NEW, so it can't be that and it is indeed what is wrong. Especially if we're talking a Reman, alternator, starter, ps pump, or steering gear box. See bad ones right out of the box is way to common.

On thermostats, I quit buying FAIL SAFE Tstats for my big block. Why? Because it's common for big blocks to run hotter and even with a 180 or 195. By winter time, I notice my engine isn't warming up at all and no heater. Replace the thermostat with a new one, sure enough the old one is stuck open. After about 3 winters I said to hell with it, I cut the FAIL SAFE tabs off the thermostat and just put it back in.

For those who don't know what a FAIL SAFE Tstat is... It's designed to FAIL OPEN instead of get stuck closed. In short, it has tabs up toward the top and when you get hot enough, the tabs hang the thermostat full open and then it can't close back off because it's hung up behind the tabs. Of course you don't know it's hung open til it's winter time and your engine doesn't warm up. IMO, it's like having a hair trigger on a semi auto hand gun. You get a hair over 200 degrees and it hangs it open. It's to much FAIL SAFE for big blocks IMO. I won't use one again.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Anytime I buy a new T-stat I run a test on the stove before I install it, had a lot of them open at the wrong temps either low or high, and I'm also not a fan of Fail Safe..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I won't run a fail safe again. At least not in my big block. It's a good idea but when it works to good and has a hair trigger what's the use? :shrug:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
EXACTLY...

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I found the issue... Anyone know a radiator repair shop in Chattanooga, TN?
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What's the problem? You sure it's not that heater hose leaking?

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Well that wasn't too hard to find, luckily. That's a negative, to your rad repair question, though.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
It's leaking at the base of the cap

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
It's leaking at the base of the cap

If that's the case it could be the cap or the system boiling over... If the cap doesn't hold at 16psi... what these are rated for, then the boil temp is lower allowing for the system to boil over. The cap is supposed to hold a certain amount of psi so that it raises the boiling temp to let's say, 240F or something. I forget the formula offhand. You may be boiling over at 212F (normal for a pot on a stove) due to the cap not holding its pressure....

Maybe someone you know has a pressure tester? Just to confirm if it's just the cap or if in fact there's a crack in the rad or some other coolant system issue

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, could be a defective cap.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I'd just hate for him to jump the gun spending $200 + coolant + time, when the issue could be $10

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Okay, my friend came over and we found the radiator almost empty. We then bought some stop leak to provide a temporary fix. I will be looking for a new radiator. I ran the engine for 30+ minutes and did not see any fluid coming out from the cap. Everything was dry.

Do on to the next question: The truck has a transmission cooler and secondary fan in front of the existing radiator. He suggested an aluminum radiator because this truck tows my 5000 pound camper and my bass boat. What should I look for in a new radiator?

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
no!! no stop leak! Stop leak will seal everything it can. It doesn't know what to seal or not. It causes blockages and sludge.

That's my view. Only as a last case Hail Mary... like your heads are done or can't afford to do things the right way for something major

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8