What oil should I use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I thought I had seen this post in the past but I can't find it now. I have an 85 C30 Scottsdale with a 454 big block. I recently changed the oil and now the engine runs very hot at idle but when I resume driving, the temp returns to normal. I used a 10w-30 high milage oil. Could this be the issue?

Also, I have read that rotella t is what I need to use, but I can't find it locally for gas burning engines. My tractor supply carries it only for diesel engines.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Could be the fan clutch, or too low idle speed, causing high idle temps.
Rotella is made for diesels, but is good for older non roller cam gas engines.

82flatdeck

Reaction score
First Name
rylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k3500
Engine Size
Using a diesel engine oil is what you want to do they have the zinc you want for the flat tappet cams.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
So is the 15w-40 what I want?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
So is the 15w-40 what I want?

I've been running it in my 88 k1500 for a few years now. Never had an issue. I would think it would be about perfect for your big block.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Could be the fan clutch, or too low idle speed, causing high idle temps.
Rotella is made for diesels, but is good for older non roller cam gas engines.
I think oil quality and viscosity do have an affect on idle temps, but I would give this suggestion high consideration. Fan clutches and water pumps are pretty cheap.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice. One of these days I'll post some before and after pics.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I am having the same issue with my 454 this year. The engine oil doesn't have anything to do with this. In an extreme condition, maybe but not likely in this case. If your engine is well broken in, no reason to run Rotella or any other special engine oil. Due to EPA regulations, oil has to meet minimum specs anyway and for these older loose tolerant engines, and then add some wear on top of that, you're not going to have any issue, no matter what engine oil you use. It's not a tight tolerant engine like LS engines are, so don't be running 5w-30 in it, that's probably or could be to thin. I'd run at bare minimum 10w-40. If it's well worn, I'd probably run SAE 30 or 20w-50. If you want to run the latest hype, you could run 10w-40 High Mileage.

When I got my 454 is was a 30,000 mile Jasper crate engine. I ran some SeaFoam in the gas tank, sucked it into the combustion chambers and then the crankcase. After that, I run Super Tech FULL SYNTHETIC 10w-30 and a Mobil 1 or K&N filter. I change the oil once a year (12-15 months to be exact) or 10,000 miles whichever comes first. I've probably got about 8,000 miles on the current oil and I'll assure you, it's still golden clean oil that will look as new as most conventional grades of oil does right out of the bottle. It's a very clean engine, and it stays that way. This BS of changing your oil every 3000 miles is just that, it's ********. In my K1500 with a 10,000 mile crate 350 in it, I ran conventional 10w-40 Super Tech and a Wix Gold Filter. Changed it about 5000-6000 miles and gave it to my bro to burn in his oil burning ricer since it was still dark golden when I changed it. How often you change your oil isn't near as important as how clean you keep your engine. Motor Oil NEVER wears out. It last's forever. What does happen to it and why we need to change it, is because it gets dirty and it gets diluted. Diluted by combustion gasses and water from condensation in the oil pan. Obviously my engines are in good shape, and combustion gasses obviously don't get past the valve guides or rings as of yet or the oil wouldn't still be as clean as it is after 8000-10,000 miles. If it's clean, not dirty, not diluted, no reason to change it. If I keep it this clean, it helps keep the wear down too. There's probably 60,000-70,000 miles on the 454 now and it's still clean as can be oil and not a bit of smoke out the tailpipe, and no blow by. I hope to keep it that way.

Sooooo moving on, fan clutch has already been mentioned and is the 1st thing likely to be the problem. In my case, mine is running about 215 when I'm in traffic. Get moving it's back to about 185. Fan clutch seems fine. I replaced the water pump not long ago and it had some white calcium looking junk in the old one built up in the corners. I have a feeling the same **** is in my radiator and I probably need to flush the radiator and hope that helps since I'm not aware of radiator shop I can take it to to have it rodded out and cleaned. Coolant level is fine, recovery bottle system is working perfect as in recovering coolant when hot and sucking it back in as it cools, but it still runs 210-215. Do keep in mind, Big Blocks are cold natured when first starting, and they also tend to run hotter. This is due to all the heavy cast iron in the heads.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I am having the same issue with my 454 this year. The engine oil doesn't have anything to do with this. In an extreme condition, maybe but not likely in this case. If your engine is well broken in, no reason to run Rotella or any other special engine oil. Due to EPA regulations, oil has to meet minimum specs anyway and for these older loose tolerant engines, and then add some wear on top of that, you're not going to have any issue, no matter what engine oil you use. It's not a tight tolerant engine like LS engines are, so don't be running 5w-30 in it, that's probably or could be to thin. I'd run at bare minimum 10w-40. If it's well worn, I'd probably run SAE 30 or 20w-50. If you want to run the latest hype, you could run 10w-40 High Mileage.

When I got my 454 is was a 30,000 mile Jasper crate engine. I ran some SeaFoam in the gas tank, sucked it into the combustion chambers and then the crankcase. After that, I run Super Tech FULL SYNTHETIC 10w-30 and a Mobil 1 or K&N filter. I change the oil once a year (12-15 months to be exact) or 10,000 miles whichever comes first. I've probably got about 8,000 miles on the current oil and I'll assure you, it's still golden clean oil that will look as new as most conventional grades of oil does right out of the bottle. It's a very clean engine, and it stays that way. This BS of changing your oil every 3000 miles is just that, it's ********. In my K1500 with a 10,000 mile crate 350 in it, I ran conventional 10w-40 Super Tech and a Wix Gold Filter. Changed it about 5000-6000 miles and gave it to my bro to burn in his oil burning ricer since it was still dark golden when I changed it. How often you change your oil isn't near as important as how clean you keep your engine. Motor Oil NEVER wears out. It last's forever. What does happen to it and why we need to change it, is because it gets dirty and it gets diluted. Diluted by combustion gasses and water from condensation in the oil pan. Obviously my engines are in good shape, and combustion gasses obviously don't get past the valve guides or rings as of yet or the oil wouldn't still be as clean as it is after 8000-10,000 miles. If it's clean, not dirty, not diluted, no reason to change it. If I keep it this clean, it helps keep the wear down too. There's probably 60,000-70,000 miles on the 454 now and it's still clean as can be oil and not a bit of smoke out the tailpipe, and no blow by. I hope to keep it that way.

Sooooo moving on, fan clutch has already been mentioned and is the 1st thing likely to be the problem. In my case, mine is running about 215 when I'm in traffic. Get moving it's back to about 185. Fan clutch seems fine. I replaced the water pump not long ago and it had some white calcium looking junk in the old one built up in the corners. I have a feeling the same **** is in my radiator and I probably need to flush the radiator and hope that helps since I'm not aware of radiator shop I can take it to to have it rodded out and cleaned. Coolant level is fine, recovery bottle system is working perfect as in recovering coolant when hot and sucking it back in as it cools, but it still runs 210-215. Do keep in mind, Big Blocks are cold natured when first starting, and they also tend to run hotter. This is due to all the heavy cast iron in the heads.
I was putting the needle in the red portion if the gage at idle, it would drop to about 185 driving on the interstate. Is there a way to test the fan clutch and water pump?

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
As far as the clutch is concerned, you can sometimes tell it's going bad by having siide to side play at the shaft that connects to the water pump. Grab a couple of the fan blades and jiggle it side to side. The center should not move at all. Look for play as you would a ball joint to best describe. But no play does not neccessarily mean it's 100% either.

The pump can "sometimes" be checked by running the vehicle at normal temp range 1st. Then observe the temp rise as you state, it goes near the red. If you raise the RPM to 2000 and temps drops back down, this could be a sign the impellers are wearing down.

Look for leaks from the "weep" hole on the water pump too. THis is the most common way to tell if the water pump is going. You may not see actual coolant coming out of the holes but at least see witness marks that coolant has leaked out and evaporated quickly. Are you losing coolant at all? Have you checked?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Usually on the fan clutch, you grab the fan blade, with the motor off of course, and check it for bearing slop. Also watch it when you KNOW for sure it's running warm. At that point, the fan should be locked up. If it's not and just spinning half the engine speed or slipping then the fan thermostat may be bad and not locking up the fan. Water pump, when you know the thermostat has popped, open the radiator cap and you should see the coolant rushing through the radiator. If not, then maybe the thermostat isn't opening fully or the water pump is weak and not pushing coolant.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I guess @Cuba snuck her post in there just as I was typing my response.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Those are some good points too... @HotRodPC Good call on checking how the fan spins... and I was just about to add my own tidbit about the t-stat.

How clean is the coolant? That could also be contributing factor. If you happen to replace the pump, also do the t-stat at the same time. This way you're only losing coolant once and they're aren't expensive.

coachdtierney54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Those are some good points too... @HotRodPC Good call on checking how the fan spins... and I was just about to add my own tidbit about the t-stat.

How clean is the coolant? That could also be contributing factor. If you happen to replace the pump, also do the t-stat at the same time. This way you're only losing coolant once and they're aren't expensive.
Coolant was replaced about 6 months ago. Should be good but I'll check

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI