what is this called?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
So I busted this "knuckle" and have a few questions. What is this called, where can I find a replacement, and how much work am I looking at?

Its for a 78 k20 I'll include a pic of the front diff cover since I want to know what kind I have as well. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20150503_123656.jpg
    20150503_123656.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 20150503_124856.jpg
    20150503_124856.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 180

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
wrecking yard, a couple of hrs.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
dana 44 front end and you broke a u joint witch destroyed you inner and outer axles.

a 1/2 ton(6 lug) or 3/4 ton use the same axles. parts are easy to find

here is a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzh8ivv1EF8

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don't buy into the couple of hours. While your in there its time to look at your inner and outer bearings, seals and you will probably need new ujoints.

Also look at your ball joints and everything else since your that far in.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Don't buy into the couple of hours. While your in there its time to look at your inner and outer bearings, seals and you will probably need new ujoints.

Also look at your ball joints and everything else since your that far in.

^+1 on what he said. Maybe an hour and half to get down to it but not to fix it. I am doing the same thing to my truck right now. She is not being easy. She is fighting us all the way. I have removed and replaced 2 axle joints, spindle bearings on both sides in about 4 hours. This is on a 78 dana 44 front end. I am also using the install tool that Firebane recommended. It is a must have tool for this job. :)

We destroyed the tie rod trying to get it off. So that will be bought new and replaced.:whymewhyme: We are currently working on steering knuckle removal. It is not going well. But it will get done.

BTW- Moog axle joints at Advance Auto are $25 each and made in Mexico. I bought everything at Rock Auto. It was cheaper than the local stores even with shipping charges.:)

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
^+1 on what he said. Maybe an hour and half to get down to it but not to fix it. I am doing the same thing to my truck right now. She is not being easy. She is fighting us all the way. I have removed and replaced 2 axle joints, spindle bearings on both sides in about 4 hours. This is on a 78 dana 44 front end. I am also using the install tool that Firebane recommended. It is a must have tool for this job. :)

We destroyed the tie rod trying to get it off. So that will be bought new and replaced.:whymewhyme: We are currently working on steering knuckle removal. It is not going well. But it will get done.

BTW- Moog axle joints at Advance Auto are $25 each and made in Mexico. I bought everything at Rock Auto. It was cheaper than the local stores even with shipping charges.:)

Yup I still had to use a cutoff wheel to get the ujoints out since the caps were rusted solid to the axles.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yup I still had to use a cutoff wheel to get the ujoints out since the caps were rusted solid to the axles.

After you cut the joint out what did you do to get the caps out?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
After you cut the joint out what did you do to get the caps out?

Used the press with a combination of sockets and old caps and pushed them through.

Then after grabbed the dremel and cleaned up the surfaces.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Used the press with a combination of sockets and old caps and pushed them through.

Then after grabbed the dremel and cleaned up the surfaces.

You mean a hydraulic bench press? How were you able to avoid bending the ears of the yoke?

Sent from the *******

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You mean a hydraulic bench press? How were you able to avoid bending the ears of the yoke?

Sent from the *******

Balljoint/Ujoint press with a impact.. Works well :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

I owe you a rep. Stuck on mobile right now. Thanks so much for the tip. You and HR are saving my ass.

Sent from the *******

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size

This is a understatement. I am giving you a rep as well for helping me out on my thread also. Thanks for keeping me straight.:)

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size

That makes for a long day. When I get to that point I am thinking "use the liquid wrench" aka oxy/acetelyne. That strikes fear into most any bolts. It also tells the truck that you are not putting up with any nonsense and it better straighten right up. Uh huh. LOL.:)

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That makes for a long day. When I get to that point I am thinking "use the liquid wrench" aka oxy/acetelyne. That strikes fear into most any bolts. It also tells the truck that you are not putting up with any nonsense and it better straighten right up. Uh huh. LOL.:)

Well my shop doesn't have the power of the gods yet so I make do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84