What headers for vortec swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
I'm planning my eventual engine swap and I'm going to end up with vortec heads on my new setup. Does anyone have a suggestion for a budget conscious set of long tube headers that will fit my '86 K5? I had Hookers on my old motor that were great other than the dipstick having to be bent out of the way.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
All of them have pros and cons. Hookers and Hedmans tend to hang down. The Patriot H8048 headers on my 82 C10 tuck up well, but I had to re-route 3 hard lines on the frame because the #2 tube hit them. Still better than hangy-down headers. K5 headers may fit differently or be a different model number.

And with just about any header, you will need to slightly enlarge (or taper) the holes in the flanges from 10 to 2 o'clock so they don't cover the tops of the taller Vortec ports.

Patriot H8048. 16 ga tubing, 5/16" flanges. Very good spark plug boot clearance.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I'm planning my eventual engine swap and I'm going to end up with vortec heads on my new setup. Does anyone have a suggestion for a budget conscious set of long tube headers that will fit my '86 K5? I had Hookers on my old motor that were great other than the dipstick having to be bent out of the way.

Have read the best headers are the doug's try Y but pricey. The issue you will run into is clearance with front driveshaft and placement to get over the tcase. I picked up a set of shorties for mine but have yet to install them.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I wanted the Doug's Tri-Y but they are pricey -- >$400 bare.

Patriot and Doug's are both owned by Pertronix. The Patriot H8048s are built using the same tooling as the Doug's 4-tube headers, but use 16 ga tubes instead of 14 ga, and 5/16" flanges instead of 3/8". They are still very stout.

I always use soft aluminum collector gaskets and steel core headers gaskets, and honestly can't remember ever having leaks with that combo. Of course it helps to check header bolt tightness after the first few hours of running, and then every year or so.

IMO, the biggest pain with headers is clearance. Leaks are typically caused by cheap gaskets or crappy fasteners.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I wanted the Doug's Tri-Y but they are pricey -- >$400 bare.

Patriot and Doug's are both owned by Pertronix. The Patriot H8048s are built using the same tooling as the Doug's 4-tube headers, but use 16 ga tubes instead of 14 ga, and 5/16" flanges instead of 3/8". They are still very stout.

I always use soft aluminum collector gaskets and steel core headers gaskets, and honestly can't remember ever having leaks with that combo. Of course it helps to check header bolt tightness after the first few hours of running, and then every year or so.

IMO, the biggest pain with headers is clearance. Leaks are typically caused by cheap gaskets or crappy fasteners.

I the only set Ive had a problem with clearance is Hooker super comps, most other brands use smaller tubes and leaves room for clearance, my issue is heat my vette cooks my feet.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I the only set Ive had a problem with clearance is Hooker super comps, most other brands use smaller tubes and leaves room for clearance, my issue is heat my vette cooks my feet.
Wrap the rascals. When I built my V8 S10 the headers were melting the black carpet ****. I wrapped them in DEI titanium crap and it was good to go.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Wrap the rascals. When I built my V8 S10 the headers were melting the black carpet ****. I wrapped them in DEI titanium crap and it was good to go.

I have thought about it but have heard horror stories about wraps soaking in any fluid that leaks then catching fire when heated up.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have thought about it but have heard horror stories about wraps soaking in any fluid that leaks then catching fire when heated up.
Old wives tales lol. You could heat shield the floor as long as there is a gap between the shield and floor you should be golden.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Old wives tales lol. You could heat shield the floor as long as there is a gap between the shield and floor you should be golden.

have seen in person smoldering likeit was on fire because ATF soaked in, it was only discover not of fire after cleaning the fire ext. mess and assessing to repair damage.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
have seen in person smoldering likeit was on fire because ATF soaked in, it was only discover not of fire after cleaning the fire ext. mess and assessing to repair damage.
That was sarcasm it's one of my super powers....sorry

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Must mention this guys...

Tri headers or any shorty headers will do nothing good for your everyday usable power curve. Shortys produce power at high rpm and can even lose low rpm torque. Unless you're spinning over 5500, long tube small diameter headers is what you really need.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Must mention this guys...

Tri headers or any shorty headers will do nothing good for your everyday usable power curve. Shortys produce power at high rpm and can even lose low rpm torque. Unless you're spinning over 5500, long tube small diameter headers is what you really need.

I figure they have to better than the restrictive manifolds

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes