What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
First go around was 2 broken springs, this time so far every push rod on ps side is bent this being the worst. Havent pulled ds yet. So whats your thoughts on dropping in 180k mi big block in?
Yeah something in the geometry is out of whack. These are Vortecs right? If so you have self aligning rockers right?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yeah something in the geometry is out of whack. These are Vortecs right? If so you have self aligning rockers right?

yes vortecs and yes self aligning, should note some of the dampeners int the springs i pulled out were broke.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
yes vortecs and yes self aligning, should note some of the dampeners int the springs i pulled out were broke.
Could you be possibly running to much lift for the Vortec springs and binding the coils and that’s why it’s braking them and bending push rods? Have you looked at the piston tops to see if they are hitting the valves?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, I really screwed up. Put in roller lifters on a solid lifter cam. This is #8 exhaust lobe

You must be registered for see images attach

And here's #8 Intake lobe (in my previous post, this is the one with the lifter that was turned sideways)

You must be registered for see images attach

The rest of the lobes are pretty ok but I'm pretty depressed. I was trying to make life easier on her and I've done some bad damage....le sigh.

So do you think that's mostly from the broken link bar, or that lobe damage broke the link bar?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Could you be possibly running to much lift for the Vortec springs and binding the coils and that’s why it’s braking them and bending push rods? Have you looked at the piston tops to see if they are hitting the valves?

its this cam http://www.pbm-erson.com/Catalog/PBM/Camshafts_PBM/Performance_CPBM/ERSE110026

these springs are what I just bought http://www.pbm-erson.com/Catalog/Erson/Valve Springs/PBM3000

with my amateur tools I measured .040" in the hole from the deck to the dished part, not the valve recesses, and not the highest portion of the piston. and gaskets were .039" thickness I believe.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
its this cam http://www.pbm-erson.com/Catalog/PBM/Camshafts_PBM/Performance_CPBM/ERSE110026

these springs are what I just bought http://www.pbm-erson.com/Catalog/Erson/Valve Springs/PBM3000

with my amateur tools I measured .040" in the hole from the deck to the dished part, not the valve recesses, and not the highest portion of the piston. and gaskets were .039" thickness I believe.
Ok in stock form the heads won’t handle the .465 lift. If you had the guides cut down they would be ok. How do the valve seals look when you replace the springs? More then likely the tops of them are crushed. Are you running 1.5 rockers?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Ok in stock form the heads won’t handle the .465 lift. If you had the guides cut down they would be ok. How do the valve seals look when you replace the springs? More then likely the tops of them are crushed. Are you running 1.5 rockers?

I had the heads set up originally to work with a 95 LT1 cam, the guy that set them up, decked to make flat, checked for cracks valve job new seats and said they were good for up to .510 lift cams. Then the springs broke.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I had the heads set up originally to work with a 95 LT1 cam, the guy that set them up, decked to make flat, checked for cracks valve job new seats and said they were good for up to .510 lift cams. Then the springs broke.
That just looks like conflicting clearances to me. Could you have gotten 1.6 rockers instead of 1.5s you ordered or are they stock? I know I’m asking a **** load of questions, just trying to help sort this out.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
That just looks like conflicting clearances to me. Could you have gotten 1.6 rockers instead of 1.5s you ordered or are they stock? I know I’m asking a **** load of questions, just trying to help sort this out.

Stock rockers, only thing I can think of the dampeners were binding because they were catching on the perch and not all the way down, then broken pieces got caught in the springs.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Stock rockers, only thing I can think of the dampeners were binding because they were catching on the perch and not all the way down, then broken pieces got caught in the springs.
Very possible. Do you have new ones with out the dampeners?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
So do you think that's mostly from the broken link bar, or that lobe damage broke the link bar?

Flat tappet cams are ground with a slight taper across the lobe that causes the lifter to rotate. This would make a roller load unevenly and unfortunately make it try to rotate.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Flat tappet cams are ground with a slight taper across the lobe that causes the lifter to rotate. This would make a roller load unevenly and unfortunately make it try to rotate.

Right, but would that be able to generate enough force to brake the link bar?

I always thought the biggest reason it was a no-no was because of the lobe profile. Because of the round lifter bottom (roller) it took a lobe with a wider profile to get a comparable duration and lift figure.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Right, but would that be able to generate enough force to brake the link bar?

I always thought the biggest reason it was a no-no was because of the lobe profile. Because of the round lifter bottom (roller) it took a lobe with a wider profile to get a comparable duration and lift figure.
I don’t see it being enough force to snap the link.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
We haven't seen the lifter yet, but I would guess the uneven loading caused the roller or/and cam to fail first which led to it turning.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL