What did you replace factory radio with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
But first I need to find out when you start it up why it sounds like the antenna got pulled out no reception[/ATTACH]
If I remember right there is a plug at the center of the bottom of the windshield for the antenna. Make sure that is plugged in.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If I remember right there is a plug at the center of the bottom of the windshield for the antenna. Make sure that is plugged in.
When I got the truck it didn't have an antenna windshield it has a fender antenna, but it works great with just the key on, just when it's running reception goes away, I've never in my life ever had that happen, lol..

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Silverado crew cab dually
Engine Size
L82 350
My truck hasn't had a functioning stereo since I've owned it but today I dug through all my stereo equipment I had laying around and put something together for it none of it matches most of its antique and some of its cobbled but it's good enough for me this is how far I got
You must be registered for see images attach

I also put six by nines in boxes in the cab corners and to 4 in speakers in the dash where the 4 by 10 once was tomorrow I'll hook up the 600w amp for the subs and order some 6.5s for the kick panels and rear doors so far I've got about $35 invested in it and 50 for the television all used parts but it's good enough for me

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
That's the problem with those military trucks. The army didn't give a rat's about operator comfort. The civilian ones had a lot of soundproofing.

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
That's the problem with those military trucks. The army didn't give a rat's about operator comfort. The civilian ones had a lot of soundproofing.

Not to mention the comfy ride.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I don't think mine rides any better than yours. But at least I have A/C and carpet.

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Silverado crew cab dually
Engine Size
L82 350
My truck hasn't had a functioning stereo since I've owned it but today I dug through all my stereo equipment I had laying around and put something together for it none of it matches most of its antique and some of its cobbled but it's good enough for me this is how far I got

I also put six by nines in boxes in the cab corners and to 4 in speakers in the dash where the 4 by 10 once was tomorrow I'll hook up the 600w amp for the subs and order some 6.5s for the kick panels and rear doors so far I've got about $35 invested in it and 50 for the television all used parts but it's good enough for me
I did a little more tonight wired up this stuff and got it all working
sounds unbelievable considering it's all old scrounged parts the amp is from a car my bosses were junking a friend of mine gave me the boxes years ago another friend gave me the silver speaker and the black one is from my neighbors garbage after a yard sale the Kenwood 6x9s and the boxes I had bought for a Jeep I had years ago and never put them in. I can't wait to hook up some mids!

K10eddie

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This has been an interesting thread haha.

I have a kenwood single din HU with 2 polk 6x9's in the back with brackets in the cab corners. When I did the cab swap, I laid down tons of sound proofing material. Sounds good for what it is. I have 2 6.5 polk speakers sitting in the garage, and I want to use them, just not sure on where to put them. I don't want them in the doors, the seals aren't so great, and water gets in. I might get crafty with tucking them in the dash or underneath. Won't be the best for sound, but it'll be better than just 2 speakers. I considered kick panel speakers, but they'd literally be kicked with my big feet by accident haha.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I did a little more tonight wired up this stuff and got it all working
sounds unbelievable considering it's all old scrounged parts the amp is from a car my bosses were junking a friend of mine gave me the boxes years ago another friend gave me the silver speaker and the black one is from my neighbors garbage after a yard sale the Kenwood 6x9s and the boxes I had bought for a Jeep I had years ago and never put them in. I can't wait to hook up some mids!

Looks good so far, and the price looks better.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
These military trucks are barbaric. Lol

I'm reminded of a magazine article that spoke about the nature of trucks and the options available. Keep in mind when we ordered ours in 1984 with a four-speaker stereo people kind of looked sideways (Why do you need a four-speaker stereo? It's a truck.) And the article said something about upscale option packages like "Well, sure it's a truck. But we're not savages."

Compared to the systems in trucks today it's looks pretty chintzy.

Anyhoo, trying to keep this thread on track, when it quit I replaced the Delco with a shaft-mounted Kenwood. Not sure if they still make these, but I didn't want to saw up the dash, there was a connector kit so I didn't have to cut any wires, and it had the added feature of a clock.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I'm reminded of a magazine article that spoke about the nature of trucks and the options available. Keep in mind when we ordered ours in 1984 with a four-speaker stereo people kind of looked sideways (Why do you need a four-speaker stereo? It's a truck.) And the article said something about upscale option packages like "Well, sure it's a truck. But we're not savages."

Compared to the systems in trucks today it's looks pretty chintzy.

Anyhoo, trying to keep this thread on track, when it quit I replaced the Delco with a shaft-mounted Kenwood. Not sure if they still make these, but I didn't want to saw up the dash, there was a connector kit so I didn't have to cut any wires, and it had the added feature of a clock.

They make aftermarket radios that fit shaft openings now. Generally they have AM/FM aux in and combo of USB and or Bluetooth. They are pricey though, when I had that 64 SKylark I think they were starting at $300

Saben Western

Reaction score
First Name
Saben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
$25 Dual Electronics stereo from Walmart

And 3D printed adapter that I made

You can get the file here and use an online printing service if you dont have a 3D printer
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4795301
Then install like this over top of the factory plastic with whatever long bolts you have laying around

And it looks like this

This particular single din head unit works because it is shallow

While it isn't show truck pretty it works great in my old work truck. And it even connects to your phone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara