what brand of fuel do you run in your square?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
i happen to run marathon in my stuff including my square since the fuel mileage is the best. the difference is quite dramatic when i use either murphy from walmart or shell which is odd.i have also noticed spark knock at times with murphy.
shell doesn't cause any spark knock but my economy drops in the toilet.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Mix of Sunoco 93 and VP 110 or 116

Last edited:

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I only run WaWa 89 octane ethanol free in mine. After I destroyed a brand new set of fuel hoses with ethanol gas, I switched over to ethanol proof hoses and E-0 gas.

Fuel mileage sucks, but thats normal I guess. Strangely enough 89 octane E-0 gets significantly better mileage than 87 octane E-10. I guess that's just the name of the game when it comes to crapinol.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
QuickTrip 87 octane. Never had a problem with it in any vehicles. I ran the 93 stuff in my trans am and the speed3 without an issue. The trans am bone stock engine, I ran a 12.6 on racetrack fuel. Its a tier 1 fuel. I dont know what tier walmart or murphy is.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
V10 - cheap it gets bad mileage anyway
Corolla - cheap it sees 450 miles a week
Vette - BP 93

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
My R20 get's whatever brand I happen to stop at, but premium only (LQ9 in a heavy truck, I feel better with it running premium).
My C5 'Vette gets Chevron 93 only (some additive in it keeps the fuel gauge in the C5s working correctly. Weird stuff...)

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Whatever comes out of the diesel pump.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I run BP 93 octane in the old girl and then I blend 5 gallons here and there of Sunoco Standard 110 in with it.. Not that it REALLY needs it, but its readily available where I live, I like the smell (who doesn't) and to be honest I think it helps the old girl run just a little better.. The ol 454 isn't exactly stock though either.. However, I've always ran premium fuel in my toys at a minimum though!

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
Ethanol free 90 is easy to find in Eastern NC and costs the same as 93 octane. I use it unless Im somewhere that don't sell it then its 93. The non ethanol can sit a year in my shed and still be good to go.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
For the diesel its usually Shell because its the first station on the way to work right after I cross into NJ. For my other vehicles its whatever I'm closest too. In my 15+ years of driving I've only had 1 crappy tank of gas and it was more like it wasnt potent enough as opposed to sputtering and other problems people report with bad gas.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Can't say I've ever seen a consistent difference in gas mileage from one brand to another. And just about any petrochemical engineer down here in Texas will probably tell you the main differences are additive packages and, of course, octane ratings. However, some out-of-the-way convenience store with two gas pumps and very few customers may have some seriously old gas in their storage tanks.

And if your engine doesn't knock with regular, going to premium won't gain you anything. That's assuming you have an older vehicle without a knock sensor. But, man, that 100+ octane gas sure does smell nice! Air cooed two-stroke dirt bikes and older car & truck engines with 11:1 to 12:1 compression love it.:waytogo:

My 2016 Mustang GT requires premium gas to make its rated 435 hp, but I normally run regular. Tried a tank of premium once, but couldn't tell any difference in power or gas mileage. But it probably would have been faster down the drag strip at WOT.

Also tired some Exxon regular a while back and saw around 5% better mileage than I usually got on a tankful. However, the second tankful I bought from that same station gave me about the same mileage as usual. And I thought I was on to something. :rolleyes:

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Can't say I've ever seen a consistent difference in gas mileage from one brand to another. And just about any petrochemical engineer down here in Texas will probably tell you the main differences are additive packages and, of course, octane ratings. However, some out-of-the-way convenience store with two gas pumps and very few customers may have some seriously old gas in their storage tanks.

And if your engine doesn't knock with regular, going to premium won't gain you anything. That's assuming you have an older vehicle without a knock sensor. But, man, that 100+ octane gas sure does smell nice! Air cooed two-stroke dirt bikes and older car & truck engines with 11:1 to 12:1 compression love it.:waytogo:

My 2016 Mustang GT requires premium gas to make its rated 435 hp, but I normally run regular. Tried a tank of premium once, but couldn't tell any difference in power or gas mileage. But it probably would have been faster down the drag strip at WOT.

Also tired some Exxon regular a while back and saw around 5% better mileage than I usually got on a tankful. However, the second tankful I bought from that same station gave me about the same mileage as usual. And I thought I was on to something. :rolleyes:
i usually only buy gas in my town and no where else because there is a lot of independent stations near my work but i would never buy there as my ethanol tester found 87-93 to have between 15-29 percent ethanol.
the marathon gas i buy has 8-10 percent while the shell in town has 15%

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I put whatever from whereever in the V1500 and now it needs another fuel pump.
In our 99 k1500 we ran texaco/BP because of the mpg drop with Murphy and ease of fueling and location.

I tried several brands and additives, mostly for fun, and the V1500 Suburban did best with the WaWa ethanol free 90 octane.

The ethanol free fuel is not all created equal. There is a station in West Tampa that sells 91 octane ethanol free, marketed as boat fuel, that ran poorly.

My 07 2500hd classic 8.1 runs better on ethanol free but no mpg improvement. We mostly run Shell brand now because of fuel perks and plenty of locations.

The big lie is selling Winter blend fuels in Florida! Wtf? Are they sh!tt!ng me?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You people suck that have easy access to pure gas. There's only a few places that have it around here and it's only 89 and .50 more a gallon.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
You people suck that have easy access to pure gas. There's only a few places that have it around here and it's only 89 and .50 more a gallon.

Oh, it is a relatively new thing. We only had a couple of stations until wawa and thortons moved in. E85 was the same way, and you have to gravity test every time you buy it. Full if water and slimey looking yellow stuff. Heat and moisture are alcohol's enemies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat