What Are the Symptoms of a Bad 700R4 Governor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy_2_low

Reaction score
First Name
Donaldo
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
im having an issue that i believe may be governor related, let me start with this. my truck is a 1990 c1500 2wd 5.7l tbi, with a 700 r4 behind that (i just rebuilt it a few months ago) and i mean from the tail housing to the pump full rebuild. back to my issue this morning i hopped in and drove to school no "stomping it" or anything like that, and everything was operating correctly until i came to a stop light, i proceeded to accelerate when it just over revved and stayed in first gear (in OD) so i shifted down to (D) and it shifted from 1-2nd no problem then i shifted back to (OD) and it went ough all gears no issue until i came to a stop again. So now im at school i let my truck sit for as bit, we had a 15 min break during class and i went to further investigate my issue aka just but it in reverse (moved just fine) and then forward in (OD) and no slip...... so im wondering if my governor is fried. because i checked the trans fluid and its still bright red, no burnt smell no gritty depreas?!!? im highly confused and just need some insight

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I think it’s possible. The only way to know for certain is to pull the governor and check the shaft trueness, the gear for wear/broken teeth, or the weights for freedom of movement. It could also be a sticking throttle valve. I had this happen to me once so I disconnected the TV cable, gave it some hard pulls (apps. 10) straight towards me, and the issue cleared up and never happened again. I’d try this first and see what happens since this’ll only take a few seconds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128