Well What A Day!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Come to find out!! My Ex was doing exactly what I suspected!! My truck has been leaking Antifreeze couldn’t figure out why!
Well needless to say he drained our bank account! I have our children and no home! Anyway today I was heading to file for a divorce!
My truck over heats!! Shooting antifreeze everywhere!! I call my good friend. Who has been the one working on it! From day one! He tells me fill it back up and head his way! That he couldn’t come get me. Because his vehicle had a weak spot in oil Line and it blew up today also!
So I fill up radiator and go! Thank Goodness I made it there! He sends me after a thermostat. I get it and brake fluid! Because he was going to try and fix the pull to the right!
I get back with the part. He gets ready to put it on. Well I go to showing him where it was leaking.
He says wait what where? I pointed and showed him. He says man I hope it doesn’t have a hole in the radiator! I’m scared to death at this point. No cash two kids only vehicle! He gets to looking sure enough!! There is holes!!
He starts draining the antifreeze!! And starts gagging and choking! He says someone put bleach in your radiator! End of story Ex done it when he rotated my tires! Only time he had a chance to! So just when u think I wasn’t being honest or nothing could get worse!!! Here are pictures ! Now I’m looking for locking Gas Lid and wondering what I could do for my hood!! This was my fathers truck! Only thing I have left of him!! Anyway any advice on anything?
You must be registered for see images attach

Second photo you can see antifreeze foaming at the bottom! I’m so hurt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
So you're saying that he drained the antifreeze out and replaced it completely with Clorox? Approximately how long has it been running like that? I'm not gonna say it's impossible to fix it because it's hard to tell where it's leaking, but I will say that bleach is pretty corrosive stuff, and if it's just been cycling through that engine for months, it didn't help anything. What I would do is some homework on radiator shops near you, and see if they can isolate the leaks. There's one down the road from where I'm from, and the guy will put the radiator in a vat of water and pump it up with air to see where it bubbles from. You have at least one tube that's leaking pretty good high up on the petcock side. Hopefully it's not many more than that. If you find that it's repairable, they can rod it out, clean the tanks, and solder the leak(s). It shouldn't put you out too bad if all goes well. I got the same treatment done on the same radiator as yours for $85. They soldered a tube, rodded it, and painted it. If it ran like that for a while, I'd replace the rad hoses and keep an eye out on the water pump. Most importantly, I would flush that whole cooling system like there was no tomorrow. I tried the CLR/Zep radiator flush trick before I broke down and took it to a shop, and that stuff was a pain to get out. It has a pretty gnarly basic pH like bleach, too. You can get the little Prestone flush kit that tees into your heater hose at Walmart TLE for $3. Unless you religiously take care of your cooling system (use distilled water, correct coolant concentration, and flush and fill every 3 years), leaks happen eventually. This probably just catalyzed it.

Does this man, if we want to call him that, have a way to get in the truck if it's locked? There are plenty of little contraptions to deter theft of the vehicle itself, and you mentioned the locking gas cap to prevent siphoning (wow), but as far as insulating individual systems like that, I don't think that's possible. Legally, I would get a restraining order, and I would see if there was any way to collect damages through your motion for divorce or some other means of financial restitution. If you weren't able to file it and can have your attorney amend it in some way, that'd be good. You're gonna have to feel that one out, though. In the meantime, once you get the truck going again, you may have to do a preflight checklist type thing to make sure everything's okay whenever you want to use it. Like looking in the radiator and making sure it's green and smells like antifreeze and not a Washateria and giving all your fluids a glance. I know what you mean about the sentimentality of it. I lost my dad last year, and I'm a hawk when it comes to his prized possessions. I hope the radiator works out. That's an OEM radiator and probably the original one, which is hell and gone better than the Chinesium stuff they push at the auto parts store.

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
So you're saying that he drained the antifreeze out and replaced it completely with Clorox? Approximately how long has it been running like that? I'm not gonna say it's impossible to fix it because it's hard to tell where it's leaking, but I will say that bleach is pretty corrosive stuff, and if it's just been cycling through that engine for months, it didn't help anything. What I would do is some homework on radiator shops near you, and see if they can isolate the leaks. There's one down the road from where I'm from, and the guy will put the radiator in a vat of water and pump it up with air to see where it bubbles from. You have at least one tube that's leaking pretty good high up on the petcock side. Hopefully it's not many more than that. If you find that it's repairable, they can rod it out, clean the tanks, and solder the leak(s). It shouldn't put you out too bad if all goes well. I got the same treatment done on the same radiator as yours for $85. They soldered a tube, rodded it, and painted it. If it ran like that for a while, I'd replace the rad hoses and keep an eye out on the water pump. Most importantly, I would flush that whole cooling system like there was no tomorrow. I tried the CLR/Zep radiator flush trick before I broke down and took it to a shop, and that stuff was a pain to get out. It has a pretty gnarly basic pH like bleach, too. You can get the little Prestone flush kit that tees into your heater hose at Walmart TLE for $3. Unless you religiously take care of your cooling system (use distilled water, correct coolant concentration, and flush and fill every 3 years), leaks happen eventually. This probably just catalyzed it.

Does this man, if we want to call him that, have a way to get in the truck if it's locked? There are plenty of little contraptions to deter theft of the vehicle itself, and you mentioned the locking gas cap to prevent siphoning (wow), but as far as insulating individual systems like that, I don't think that's possible. Legally, I would get a restraining order, and I would see if there was any way to collect damages through your motion for divorce or some other means of financial restitution. If you weren't able to file it and can have your attorney amend it in some way, that'd be good. You're gonna have to feel that one out, though. In the meantime, once you get the truck going again, you may have to do a preflight checklist type thing to make sure everything's okay whenever you want to use it. Like looking in the radiator and making sure it's green and smells like antifreeze and not a Washateria and giving all your fluids a glance. I know what you mean about the sentimentality of it. I lost my dad last year, and I'm a hawk when it comes to his prized possessions. I hope the radiator works out. That's an OEM radiator and probably the original one, which is hell and gone better than the Chinesium stuff they push at the auto parts store.

Thanks a lot for advice! The whole radiator was rotted clear through! I have been saying something wasn’t right for awhile! I just wish someone would have listened! I smelt something weird in the antifreeze the other day! I even had my mom smell it! But nooo she insisted she was right and that was how it was supposed to smell!
I know its probably been since Easter! If not before Easter! I’m not scared of him taking my gas! I’m scared he will sugar it!
He told me while arguing one day he got a set of keys made. So I honestly don’t know! I don’t think he dumped antifreeze out I’d say he just added right to the antifreeze!! And now my window won’t stop fogging! I’d say it’s in the heater core to!! It has me sick thinking he premeditatedly thought this out! What’s next my brake lines cut? My children ride in this also!!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The brake hoses were my first worry, but I don’t know what the situation is, and it’s none of my business at the end of the day. I used to work at a law office, and I’m working to becoming a lawyer. Divorces can get nasty. I’ve never seen something like sabotage, but custody, assets, alimony, etc. can get messy. You can’t be too careful, though. If the radiator’s that bad, you’ll need a new one worst case scenario. I’d still have it checked out by a shop unless the damage is worse than the pictures. It’s not as bad that he added it to the antifreeze, I think. It definitely tainted it, but it’s not as awful as if it was just pure bleach and water running through everything. Is the carpet wet on the passenger side? It tentatively sounds like your cooling system may need somewhat of an overhaul. I’d still be very cautious with what you replace so you don’t make any frivolous purchases. But you know already that. If it were me, I may go ahead and get new lock cylinders for the doors. He could be bluffing you, but it depends on how low he’s willing to go and if he lied to begin with. You know the situation better than anyone, though, so you’ll have to make that judgement.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Depending on you setup, you can get a radiator from Rock Auto for $80.

Last edited:

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
There's two sides to every story.
I can guarantee the day he done what he did! I asked my family to make him a plate of food for Easter! My side of the story is treat others how u want to be treated! I found bikini in my back yard! So I packed up and moved let him have the house! And the kids and I took nothing but my truck and a few garbage bags of clothes! I was nowhere in the wrong! As a matter of fact! He just admitted to cheating with 6 women half were friends! I stayed to try an make it work! Then the bath suits! Yup there is ur two sides!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If the windshild is fogging, most likely that the heater core is leaking coolant into the air handler box. Eventually it should be saturating the passenger side floor board. You need to find that out ASAP and get it cleaned up if so. PA has enough problems with rust, but that will certainly rot out a floor pan give the chance to allow it to happen.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Hide an on/off switch in the cab somewhere, wire it to batt +, then to a hazard relay, then to 2 doorjamb switches, one at the gas door and one under the hood, then back to your horn. If either are opened the horn should beep on and off like a car alarm. You just have to remember to turn it off if you need to fill up or work under the hood, and remember to turn it on when you don't want people tampering with it. Shouldn't cost more than $20 to wire up.

As far as the bleach, if it was put in your gas tank it will destroy the tank, metal line going to the front, any metal parts in the carb, it's one of the worst things someone can do. If it was only in the radiator I would hook up a water hose to the upper water neck with the thermostat out and flush the engine out. Do the same with the heater hoses.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
We're probably not supposed to recommend half-@$$ed Band-Aid repairs, but if the heater core is leaking and you don't have the $$$ or a mechanic that you are comfortable with right now you could bypass the heater core temporarily. Summer will get here eventually (spring might even get here eventually :rolleyes:) and you can get away without it for a few months. Naturally, don't put off replacing it for too long.

The other thought is about the radiator. At least on my truck, I've put several copper radiators in it during it's life, but only one aluminum/plastic one. I looked at Rock Auto and that seems to be mostly what they offer. So for the $70 or $85 bucks vs the cost of repairing the copper one you might be better off investing in the more modern one and be done with it.

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
We're probably not supposed to recommend half-@$$ed Band-Aid repairs, but if the heater core is leaking and you don't have the $$$ or a mechanic that you are comfortable with right now you could bypass the heater core temporarily. Summer will get here eventually (spring might even get here eventually :rolleyes:) and you can get away without it for a few months. Naturally, don't put off replacing it for too long.

The other thought is about the radiator. At least on my truck, I've put several copper radiators in it during it's life, but only one aluminum/plastic one. I looked at Rock Auto and that seems to be mostly what they offer. So for the $70 or $85 bucks vs the cost of repairing the copper one you might be better off investing in the more modern one and be done with it.
ty

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Hide an on/off switch in the cab somewhere, wire it to batt +, then to a hazard relay, then to 2 doorjamb switches, one at the gas door and one under the hood, then back to your horn. If either are opened the horn should beep on and off like a car alarm. You just have to remember to turn it off if you need to fill up or work under the hood, and remember to turn it on when you don't want people tampering with it. Shouldn't cost more than $20 to wire up.

As far as the bleach, if it was put in your gas tank it will destroy the tank, metal line going to the front, any metal parts in the carb, it's one of the worst things someone can do. If it was only in the radiator I would hook up a water hose to the upper water neck with the thermostat out and flush the engine out. Do the same with the heater hoses.
OH DEAR JESUS, I PRAY ITS NOT IN MY TANK!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400