Well I'm phukd. Th400 lost 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well at least now it looks pretty! Also go my first component rebuild done.

You must be registered for see images attach

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Good start! I'm probably not too terribly far behind you on a transmission rebuild.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well I'm kind of on hold right now. I can't really do much else until the rebuild kit arrives. I ordered it about a week ago, and from what I can tell it has yet to ship. I'm starting to get a tad frustrated because I was hoping to work on it over the t-day break...

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Way to go, man! Things don't look too bad from what the pictures show. At least the fluid isn't burnt toast brown.:eek:

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well the kit finally arrived yesterday, 15 days later... I was able to get the geartrain rebuilt, but discovered a slight issue with the new front band...

Oh, and I found my first blown seal in the center support. I'm thinking this might have contributed to my problems?

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Anybody ever use the wider 4l80e front band? Since the one that came with the kit is garbage I'm thinking about upgrading. I know it needs a longer servo pin, is that all?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
The front band from 99-up does not interchange to my knowledge.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
OMG WTF??? So I ordered this kit from a site somebody here mentioned, it took 2 weeks to get here - and I had to threaten to cancel the order to get it, the front band came broke, and now I discover it is also missing the intermediate clutch frictions!!!!! What kind of monkey operation is this??? I could have had this done over a week ago!!!

/Rant

On the plus side I did successfully get the geartrain installed in the case. Although it would have been nice if the kit came with new selective thrust washers. I had to reuse the old one at the output that had kind of boogery ears... Nice

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Should have replaced that thrust washer with a TH350 pump bearing.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Has anybody ever increased the number of springs in the intermediate apply piston? Stock, mine had 3 retained with a plastic retainer, but it looks like it could hold 6 or even 9. What effect would this have?

The B&M transkit (which I'm not using, just referencing) recommends the upgrade. I just cannot find any information on what effect it would have.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well both drums are rebuilt and sitting in bags. Valve body is rebuilt and in a bag. Pump is rebuilt and in a bag. I'm soaking a few of the elements-exposed parts so they will be nice and clean.

I chose not to go with the shift kit's manual low override mod. I know it can be handy in extreme situations, I just don't want to accidentally slide into first at 45mph and blow the engine sky-high. I figure if I need it I can always do it later.

Also went with a slightly more aggressive 1-2 shift setup. I used the orange/red spring combo. I don't want to be chirping the tires every shift. In a dually that's probably not good!

I'm going to do the separator plate mod this evening. I'm using the TransGo plate, and plan to drill:

2nd Feed: .093 or maybe a bit more. This is Range 2 for trucks

3rd Feed: Stock, again Range 2

3rd Accm: Stock, again Range 2

I'll post a few pictures tomorrow of some additional carnage I discovered. Broke accumulator piston, wiped frictions. All kinds of happy noise. I guess 150,000 miles will do that huh?

Waiting on a call back on the clutch frictions. I imagine he's not going to be happy to come in on a Monday morning to THAT voicemail...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Well both drums are rebuilt and sitting in bags. Valve body is rebuilt and in a bag. Pump is rebuilt and in a bag. I'm soaking a few of the elements-exposed parts so they will be nice and clean.

I chose not to go with the shift kit's manual low override mod. I know it can be handy in extreme situations, I just don't want to accidentally slide into first at 45mph and blow the engine sky-high. I figure if I need it I can always do it later.

Also went with a slightly more aggressive 1-2 shift setup. I used the orange/red spring combo. I don't want to be chirping the tires every shift. In a dually that's probably not good!

I'm going to do the separator plate mod this evening. I'm using the TransGo plate, and plan to drill:

2nd Feed: .093 or maybe a bit more. This is Range 2 for trucks

3rd Feed: Stock, again Range 2

3rd Accm: Stock, again Range 2

I'll post a few pictures tomorrow of some additional carnage I discovered. Broke accumulator piston, wiped frictions. All kinds of happy noise. I guess 150,000 miles will do that huh?

Waiting on a call back on the clutch frictions. I imagine he's not going to be happy to come in on a Monday morning to THAT voicemail...
Get an aluminum piston not another pos plastic one.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Get an aluminum piston not another pos plastic one.

Already did it. That was one of the issues I found. The OE plastic one had broke a nice ring right off on the shaft. Pretty sure it was doing a whole lot of nothing!

Found a wiped out clutch in the forward drum too. Literally bare metal.

Found 2 broken seals and a whole ton of brittle/stiff ones throughout.

Bunch of gunk in the v/b valves too.

I'm 99% sure this project is going to give me cancer...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Them 2 broken seals if you're talking about sealing rings are probably what toasted this transmission. Once you get a fluid bleed somewhere then things start to happen like dominoes falling. This happens, then that happens, causing this to happen and so forth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK