Welder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Okay so I'm 15 (until Nov. 5) and my Mint truck has a small problem, the supports that go from the cab mounts are pretty much rusted through, possibly to the point where the cab is in danger of breaking free or something. I think the weld to the rockers so if anyone doesn't mind taking a picture to show me that'd be much appreciated. Now to the welder, I have a uncle who has welded for years and programs robot welders for Vermeer and a friend who also welds professionally, they both said to get a flux core welder and I did some reading up on it and found one on harbor freight (I'm a starter and cant afford a Miller or Lincoln) its a Chicago Electric one for $100 https://www.harborfreight.com/welding/flux-welders/90-amp-flux-welder-61849.html or for the same price https://www.harborfreight.com/welding/flux-welders/flux-125-welder-63583.html what do you think? Thanks for the help!!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am using harbor freight unit, other than work cycle time being poor it does just fine for sheet metal

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
The Harbor Freight welders are mostly junk. If I recall right, a member here had one catch on fire the first time he used it.

If you are on budget, I'd look at Northern Tool or Eastwood for their store lines. They aren't super great, but better than the HF junk.

If you can swing it, a Hobart Handler 130 is a great little flux core machine, same parent company as Miller.

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
harbor freight has really stepped up there game lately. I have a 90 amp and it works perfect with some quality wire, not the crap wire from harbor freight.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
harbor freight has really stepped up there game lately. I have a 90 amp and it works perfect with some quality wire, not the crap wire from harbor freight.

That very well could be true. The "catch-fire" experience was a few years ago.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think that was Curt's welder that caught fire.

I had one too, I used it a few times and then it just decided to quit working one day.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Are these inverter driven machines or transformer based?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I've heard the harbor freight welders can do pretty well as long as you use better wire like the Lincoln flux core. Could be pretty spotty when using the harbor freight stuff.

I saved up a couple bucks to go for the Lincoln 140. It was as big as I could go without rewiring the whole breaker panel and garage circuits for the 40a 220v circuit the Lincoln 180 required. Was a bit pricey, but works pretty well for everything i've thrown at it so far.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
I've got a 140 also, set it up on a cart with a big stargon bottle and converted it from flux core...I prefer this for body work since there is less clean up, I just put some anti-spatter down around the area first so everything just wipes clean. I also got a spool gun that I can hook to it, change bottle and weld aluminum. Need more practice with that set-up though, only tried it 3 times so far, lol. Also, when doing sheetmetal welding, get a good variety of brass heat sinks to go behind the welds to stop distortion...works really well. Can get those magnet mount type from Eastwood.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've got a 140 also, set it up on a cart with a big stargon bottle and converted it from flux core...I prefer this for body work since there is less clean up, I just put some anti-spatter down around the area first so everything just wipes clean. I also got a spool gun that I can hook to it, change bottle and weld aluminum. Need more practice with that set-up though, only tried it 3 times so far, lol. Also, when doing sheetmetal welding, get a good variety of brass heat sinks to go behind the welds to stop distortion...works really well. Can get those magnet mount type from Eastwood.
Aluminum isn't bad it just has to be clean and go at it with intent to weld can't pussyfoot around with it no spotting aluminum is what I'm getting at.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Haven't made the switch to gas yet. Thought about it though. Most of my projects have been with 16g and 1/8".

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I find aluminium to generally be straight forward. I do not have the prettiest weld, but good coverage and good penetration. But never used harbor freight welder for aluminium, have a good welder at work.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Haven't made the switch to gas yet. Thought about it though. Most of my projects have been with 16g and 1/8".
Once you do you will wonder why you waited so long. My machine at work runs .052 innershield wire. It uses gas and flux. Only thing better then that in a kit is submerged arc.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Once you do you will wonder why you waited so long. My machine at work runs .052 innershield wire. It uses gas and flux. Only thing better then that in a kit is submerged arc.
+1 on the wire feed with gas. Have similar set up at work as well.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I started with an old blue harbor freight 90 Amp welder.

With good Lincoln wire and some jelly to keep splatter from sticking, it did great for basic sheet metal repair.

I stepped up to a HF 180 Amp about three years ago, the first one was DOA, the second has been flawless every since. I did a cab mount, floor, inner and outer rocker on my C10, cab corners on my 2500HD, crossmembers on my trailer, on and on, it's been great for me.

The original HF welder I gave to my nephew how still uses it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey