Vortec Head Retrofit Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I cant wait to put it in. its got new axle seals but I'm going to install pinion seal due to leak. it only sucks because axles on both rears have to come out in order to transfer backing plates and brakes

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Be sure to use red loc-tite on the pinion nut. Also make sure the pinion isn't grooved where the seal rides. First time out with the new axle you may want to put a pillow between the back glass and your head lol. When I went 5.13s from 3.73s (38" tires) the difference was unbelievable.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
works pretty good especially now that I can ride in overdrive on slight inclines without the torque converter locking and unlocking constantly. new issue though is now my shift points are so early that when I'm doing about 30 I'm already in 3rd gear and if I stab the throttle it wont kick back down.. how can I get the shift points to come in later? I would like it to stay in 1st or second for more that 5-10 mph under part throttle cruise

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
works pretty good especially now that I can ride in overdrive on slight inclines without the torque converter locking and unlocking constantly. new issue though is now my shift points are so early that when I'm doing about 30 I'm already in 3rd gear and if I stab the throttle it wont kick back down.. how can I get the shift points to come in later? I would like it to stay in 1st or second for more that 5-10 mph under part throttle cruise

2 different things going on there.
1 the kick down is usually and adjustment made to a cable from the carb to tranny, inspect yours and make sure its connected and functional before trying to adjust it.

2 there is a governor in the transmission that lets the transmission shift, by changing the springs/weights you can change when it shifts.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
went to transmission shop today where I had mine rebuilt. was told the springs and weights in the governor could be changed to change shift timing or whatever but it would be trial and error due to the fact that there isn't a set that specifically matches a gear ratio. I cant believe how nice the truck stays in overdrive now though compared to before with the tcc constantly locking and unlocking on a slight incline under 55-60mph

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
went to transmission shop today where I had mine rebuilt. was told the springs and weights in the governor could be changed to change shift timing or whatever but it would be trial and error due to the fact that there isn't a set that specifically matches a gear ratio. I cant believe how nice the truck stays in overdrive now though compared to before with the tcc constantly locking and unlocking on a slight incline under 55-60mph

my truck was doing the same thing with 342s and 33s, swapping to 410s and 315/70r17s solved it for me.. still will change my governor when I change the heads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg