Vintage air, anyone used their products on a square?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
I have two trucks, 83, and 84, with non-functioning heat and a/c. Both trucks are getting completely rewired and im considering using the vintage air a/c product to have a 100% new system.

its a more modern system, which does bother me since its electronically controlled instead of vacuum operated ... but im wondering if it is more efficient and works generally better?

Has anyone used their products before? i cant find many reviews on them.

thanks in advance.

Qwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7/T56
Straight forward install, with good directions. Blows really cold air, but my interior stays warm in the summer. I dont blame VA, more of my Spartan, no frills interior. ie. Seat, mat and no interior pieces at all. There are some pics of the install on my build thread, link in signature.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I havent put one in a square, though we did put one in my buddies 70 Chevelle, and I fully plan on putting on in the square. I guess working on Mercedes Benz for so long, and I guess newer cars in general, stepper motor is the way to go. When they go out, it can be a bitch to replace, depending on where they are. C classes had one in a funky location. I really dont see a downside to their system at all. Newer tech, can look factory, removes stuff from under the hood, doesnt use vacuum. It will get just as cool and just as hot.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's another company too, Old Air Products. I have their catalog at home. But anyway, their setup looked to be WAY nicer than the Vintage Air setup (less 'universal hot rod parts' looking). The cost for the whole kit was reasonable as well.

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
Thhttps://nostalgicac.com/complete-ac-kits/chevrolet-complete-ac-kits/chevy-truck-ac-kits/1980-1987-c-series-chevy-pickup-truck-a-c-kit.htmlen there is these guys I have used them before on my 74 it is a redo of a dealer add on air system .

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check out this 87 installation video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I have installed older cable-actuated VA systems in a 55 Chevy car and 69 Chevy pickup. I wasn't all that impressed with the products, especially the "box" containing the evaporator coil and heater core. On both of mine, the doors wouldn't fully seal when closed, meaning if you wanted 100% of the air going to the dash vents, you'd still get quite a lot on the floor. Problem was gaps around the doors. Also, the design was such that approx 2/3 of the dash and floor airflow was to the driver's side. That was because I don't think they understood how air going around a bend wants to turn easily. (Anyone who has ever dealt with piping and valves can tell you that.)

I recently spoke to a VA dealer about those problems, and he said the new Gen IV units have addressed them both. To poster "Qwk" above, does your system have either of those issues?

Heck, if the bottom of the dash didn't curve towards the firewall so much, I'd get an old school type under-dash unit.
You must be registered for see images

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd just keep the factory air. Those systems, in my opinion, are great for vehicles that weren't optioned with air or predated an A/C option at all, but that's about it. Your air will blow strong as long as there's a good vacuum connection going to the controller and the ductwork is properly connected. Even with an R134a conversion, it'll still blow nice and cold.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd just keep the factory air. Those systems, in my opinion, are great for vehicles that weren't optioned with air or predated an A/C option at all, but that's about it. Your air will blow strong as long as there's a good vacuum connection going to the controller and the ductwork is properly connected. Even with an R134a conversion, it'll still blow nice and cold.
I agree. Seems like all the parts are still available.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E

x2. Mine blows nice and cold. It will keep me comfortable on a 105* Texas day. I may not be "ice cold", but it's more than adequate.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Another one for factory ac. In my suburban it works better than my 2013 economy car

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
wow ... lots of answers in a short time and about a 50/50 split. I really want to clean up the engine bay so im leaning toward the VA kit ... even though it looks like it eats most of the glovebox away.

thanks all.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'll be putting VA in mine, and my Nova..

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm biased towards factory AC components but I also restore them too so its fun imo lol! The pita stuff to replace are things like blend door seals, foam sealing strips for the ductwork, stuff like that.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
I'm biased towards factory AC components but I also restore them too so its fun imo lol! The pita stuff to replace are things like blend door seals, foam sealing strips for the ductwork, stuff like that.

that is most of the reason why i am leaning toward a full kit, ripping it all out and starting over makes sense to em... That and the fact that a lot of stuff is so old and brittle its just falling apart on me.

Last edited: