vibration 35mph and 70mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Trying to narrow down cause of vibration. New shocks, stabilizer, tires/balance, end links, drag link, steering gear box. Seem to be in the front end specifically, not too bad of vibration but very specific to speed, not throttle. Very narrow 1-2mph range that vibration appearas. Harmonic, at 35 and 70mph.
1991 V2500

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd check your calipers in front for play, does it pull at all? It coul still be a thrown belt even in a new tire. You could place something stationary next to the tire as it is jacked up and spin the wheel and see if at any point the tires comes closer to the fixed object.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
vibration before the new tires? might swap front/back and try it. Just a thought.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Do not believe to be a tire related. Had two different new front tire sets and one older tire set all doing the same. Front/back has been swapped

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
gotcha, wild it happens again at twice the lower speed.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
warped rotor?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
How about a wheel bearing? Does applying the brakes affect it at all? What happens if you shift into neutral?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I had three sets of tires with heavy spots in the carcass, which led to the tires being "egg shaped" when rotating. Vibration speeds were 50 and 75. Ruled out the alignment, balance, wheels bearings and all steering components as well as the brakes. It turned out that the tire mfg (BF Goodrich ) had several bad batches of out of round tires.

When I had the wheels and tires are balanced, I drove a few miles and went back to check the balance. That's what happened in my situation, and it ended up being bad tires.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I gotta agree on the tire possibility. When I was at the dealership, the only time a vibration like that would appear at one speed and then at double the speed, it was always tire related (balance, out of round, damaged wheel)

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I gotta agree on the tire possibility. When I was at the dealership, the only time a vibration like that would appear at one speed and then at double the speed, it was always tire related (balance, out of round, damaged wheel)

This is true. And they would even balance ok. On some you could notice if you watched it spin on the balancer as it slowed down.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have two different brand tires front/back. One is goodyear and the other is cooper. Cooper tires started their life on a different vehicle with no vibration issues. Vibrations were observed with either tire in the front. I will try to take a better look at the front end over the weekend, but it had me stumped for a while. Been basically ignoring it so far as it only vibrates at specific speed and any less or more, vibration gone instantly. Could be the wheels, but all four causing the issue?

It does pull to the side a bit under heavy braking, but normal otherwise

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Could be a stuck brake caliper. Until I swapped out tire sizes, my vibration issue drove me crazy for three years which sucked especially since the tires were new.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It is eating the inner portion of the driver side tire in steps. A bit of up/down play, but not enough to figure out where it is coming from. Upper and lower ball joints visually look good.
You must be registered for see images attach

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
How do you check your ball joints?

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Jack the front up and take a pry bar and stick it under the tire and pry on it or have someone do it and watch for play in the ball joint. Is the truck lifted or lowered? May need to check your caster/camber. My trucks has cut coils in front and needs some bushings and end links, in less than six months I started seeing wear on the outsides of the tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC