Vent Window Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello,
I have replaced the seals in my vent windows with seals that were bought from LMC Truck. Installed them and have been driving around for the last 3 months with air leaking in. I have tried tape between the glass and seal and it did not work. I finally discovered that it is leaking on the front track in between the rivets where it causes a slight bow in the seal and then in behind the other seal. I put silicone on this part and it did fix it, however it looks like crap from the outside. My question is: 1.) I am using the correct seal or are there better quality seals out there? 2.) Does anyone know of a glass shop that will permanately put the window in without hinges and etc?

Any suggestions?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hello,
I have replaced the seals in my vent windows with seals that were bought from LMC Truck. Installed them and have been driving around for the last 3 months with air leaking in. I have tried tape between the glass and seal and it did not work. I finally discovered that it is leaking on the front track in between the rivets where it causes a slight bow in the seal and then in behind the other seal. I put silicone on this part and it did fix it, however it looks like crap from the outside. My question is: 1.) I am using the correct seal or are there better quality seals out there? 2.) Does anyone know of a glass shop that will permanately put the window in without hinges and etc?

Any suggestions?

A picture or two - showing the area where you are getting the leak - might get more responses.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Which side? I have (2) LH NOS vent assemblies w/glass available for 81-87....that's the best route imo

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ill take some pictures this afternoon.

I put the silicone on both windows. BTW, how much for 1 of the assemblies?

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The vent assemblies are GM NOS and I have them priced at $450. I'm aware aftermarket seals are much cheaper but this is also a complete assembly-and has been obsolete from GM for many years now.

I'm out of stock on the RH...only (2) LH assemblies left.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I bought the LMC vent window seals and a friend of mine who owns a body shop offered to even install them for me. He said the fit was crap. Mine leaked air. He thought that if I waited till summer maybe the heat would help them take shape better.

Nope. I siliconed them.

Probably not the answer you were hoping for- but at least someone else had your same issue.

There is an expensive option to just remove the vent completely.
https://www.brotherstrucks.com/73-87-1-PIECE-WINDOW-KIT/productinfo/OPWK800/

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Word on the street is: If you don't want to spend the money (or the time to source) NOS rubber for your vent windows, the next best choice is Fairchild Industries.

They have slowly/quietly developed a solid reputation. Look around, it's hard to find anyone that has anything bad to say about Fairchild's rubber seals. Ahem...unlike what folks have to say about the seals that LMC markets.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is what I am reading- the seals from LMC are not as good as other companies. The vent window themselves are in good condition so I may just try to replace the seals once again with some better quality ones. They are definitely a pain in the $$$ to replace them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL