Vapor lock issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I have been trying to chase down a problem with my 305 hesitating off the line and occasionally losing power for a second and then it coming back. I thought it was the carb so I switched to a Carter AFB, stabbed in a brand new distributor and rebuilt my carb.

This problem is only happening when its been running at operating temp for a while, when the ambient air is warmer it runs worse. fuel pump is a new one from Orileys. Anyone have any thoughts?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Coil? :shrug:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don't miss trying to figure that **** out. Is that an HEI or separate coil? I agree with skt to try that.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Actually had a simular problem after I put my headders on. The fuel line ended up actually sitting against the header on the passenger side headder and was basically boiling the gas in the line.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Adjust the accelerator pump for a longer throw on the carb, see if that helps. It may be running a little lean, too. Might need to re-jet to the rich side.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Cant be a coil, I just put a brand new distributor with a new cap and coil. I adjusted the accelerator pump and no difference. The next thing I was going to try is exactly what C4 mentioned, change metering rods and fatten it up a little.

Im wondering... It cant be leaned out if its running fine at operating temp with the choke open. Its only after driving around for a while it starts.

Has anyone ever herd of new fuel pumps vapor locking? I had a brand new fuel pump on my colt that would vapor lock like crazy.

If I wrap aluminum foil around the fuel line and it still does it maybe I should try another fuel pump?! I dont know. Its driving me crazy.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The next thing I was going to try is exactly what C4 mentioned, change metering rods and fatten it up a little.

Im wondering... It cant be leaned out if its running fine at operating temp with the choke open. Its only after driving around for a while it starts.
If it doesn't do it at idle, your idle air screws are right, but driving around the metering rods/springs/jets come into play. The plugs might tell the tale the best. If they look "really clean" it is probably running lean. I didnt think changing the accellerator pump travel would cure it, but it takes it out of the equation. Steady throttle tells me it could be the metering rods/etc. Otherwise there could be a vacuum leak but without backfiring issues I doubt that's it too. It would be easier to run a vacuum test than to start fiddling with the carb though.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Maybe it is a vacuum leak..... that would make sense. I've been talking about getting a gauge for way to long now.

mrt

Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C Series
Engine Size
Have you tried a heat sheild and a phenolic 1 inch spacer? That might help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshinIT