Vacuum reservoir?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Ok....I've been gathering fittings and hose to install a vacuum fitting in the manifold and run hoses to the reservoir and the HVAC system. Nothing is easy. I bought a fitting with a right angle barb and I can't install it because there is a hard line going from the carb to the brake booster that's in the way. Won't allow me to install the fitting.

Is there another vacuum line that I can tap into or should I pick up a fitting with a straight barb?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Ok....I've been gathering fittings and hose to install a vacuum fitting in the manifold and run hoses to the reservoir and the HVAC system. Nothing is easy. I bought a fitting with a right angle barb and I can't install it because there is a hard line going from the carb to the brake booster that's in the way. Won't allow me to install the fitting.

Is there another vacuum line that I can tap into or should I pick up a fitting with a straight barb?[/QUOTE

That line would be easy to move temporarily so you can spin your fitting in. It's just a flare fitting and a bracket right.

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Yeah, I tried to take it off, thinking I could install the vacuum fitting and then put it back. I put a wrench to it and the hard line started to twist. I stopped before it did any damage. I did find a 3/8 fitting with a straight barb online that ought to work and also a low profile fitting that's outrageous in cost ($30.00). Just looking for a better way before I send away for more parts.

On a good note, I got under the dash and was able to see the control valve. I found the gray line and it led me right up to the opening in the firewall. It had a piece of hose still attached to it and was lying just inside the opening. I taped it to a piece of wire and fished it through from the engine side.

I'm still missing the piece of duct that runs under the column but found a fellow that has one he'll give me.

Making progress

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If I am not mistaken the steel line has a flare and nut and it threads into a fitting that connects to the carb via 1/4" NPT pipe thread. You may need to use two wrenches. One to hold the fitting and one for the flare nut. Unless its rusted tight it should come apart.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 119

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
That's pretty much what mine looks like. I tried to turn the nut on the steel tube. The fitting in the carb didn't move, only started twisting the line.

I might have to buy the 3/8 fitting with the straight barb. Ought to work.......and it's only $3.00

I'm guessing by your response that you're not recommending tapping into another line.

I do appreciate the input. Amazing what I'm learning as I bring some glory back to this ole girl.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
That's pretty much what mine looks like. I tried to turn the nut on the steel tube. The fitting in the carb didn't move, only started twisting the line.

I might have to buy the 3/8 fitting with the straight barb. Ought to work.......and it's only $3.00

I'm guessing by your response that you're not recommending tapping into another line.

I do appreciate the input. Amazing what I'm learning as I bring some glory back to this ole girl.
Oh, sure you could tap another line. You just need to tap into a manifold vacuum or non-ported vacuum. Dont forget your check valve.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 156

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I'll have a look and see where the non-ported fitting is on my Edlebrock

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Yeah, I forgot you have an Eddy.

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Alright! Success is mine....or ours if you consider the help I received. I've been involved with several issues at once but I kept coming back to my HVAC problem.

I finally got the vacuum into the dash area but when I cranked it up, I only had heat, no defrost. I hate to think how many hours I spent looking at the various threads that showed diagrams of the system

I finally pinpointed the problem. The flapper controlled by the rod was not opening....the one that has the white plastic part that apparently is known for breaking. When I selected "defrost", I could see the rod was moving ever so slightly. Screwing around with it, I found that the door was jammed up. Somebody had pressed on the door and wedged it into the housing. I fooled with it and got it to release. When I hit defrost, the door opened and closed as it should.

I only have to reattach the ducting and I'm good to go.

I want to thank you fellas for all the information.

The only larger project I have in front of me is replacing both of the wing windows. I have the parts, only need to get to it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Glad you got it fixed. Sometimes it is just the simplest thing that causes such a big headache.

I need to remember this thread when I get into my system. Luckily I have heat and defrost, but there is some good info in here for tracking down other stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06