Vacuum Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I looked in the book, but there isn;t anything much in there. Just make sure you have your PCV valve hose going to the base of the carb. You can get rid of the EGR hose. And watch your breather hose. Some chrome air cleaner kits come with a base that has a port built into it fo that hose. And if ya got a hose running to your distributor you need that hooked up too. What else....hmmm... I think the rest is just emmisions crap. OH, and one might be a MAP hose, and if it is you definately need that. Like I said, we need to see what ya got there to help ya out.

hahaha, now I go back and read the posts, and just the things I was saying, about these guys that just say or think all those vac lines are junk or smog crap, yada yada, and look who we got saying, you don't need that EGR hose and that.... :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:
Actually EGR, Exhaust Gas Recirculaton, isn't all that bad either. It also is hooked to a TVS so that it does not work when the motor is cold. But it does recirculate a portion of the exhaust gases back into the intake system. I am doubtful it causes any loss whatsoever in hp, but it can cause a poor operation condition if the pintle gets stuck open. Which is common to happen when carbon builds on it. So its not a bad idea, say when ever you change your spark plugs, get in the habit of removing your EGR valve and cleaning the carbon off it and make sure the pintle is moving freely. There has also been claims that a proper working EGR system will improve mpg a little bit. Reason being, the heat from the exhaust being recycled in the intake helps vaporzie the fuel better therefore a better more potent explosion in the combustion chamber. How true?, I don't know. It sounds good on paper though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW mark, Welcome to GMSB. Hang out a bit and post up some pics or your ride. Sounds like an interesting unique ride. I know the 4.3 was standard base in the K10, but its not very common. So stick around, I am sure between all of us, you'll have plenty of help here, not to mention, sharing some of your experiences will help others too. :waytogo: Welcome Aboard !!! :wave: :waytogo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
hahaha, now I go back and read the posts, and just the things I was saying, about these guys that just say or think all those vac lines are junk or smog crap, yada yada, and look who we got saying, you don't need that EGR hose and that.... :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:
Actually EGR, Exhaust Gas Recirculaton, isn't all that bad either. It also is hooked to a TVS so that it does not work when the motor is cold. But it does recirculate a portion of the exhaust gases back into the intake system. I am doubtful it causes any loss whatsoever in hp, but it can cause a poor operation condition if the pintle gets stuck open. Which is common to happen when carbon builds on it. So its not a bad idea, say when ever you change your spark plugs, get in the habit of removing your EGR valve and cleaning the carbon off it and make sure the pintle is moving freely. There has also been claims that a proper working EGR system will improve mpg a little bit. Reason being, the heat from the exhaust being recycled in the intake helps vaporzie the fuel better therefore a better more potent explosion in the combustion chamber. How true?, I don't know. It sounds good on paper though.
Dude, when I hook up my EGR valve, my truck runs like **** under low end acceleration, you got to give it twice the gas to do the same as when it's not hooked up. And it is a brand new valve. Why, I don't know. But when I don't use it, it runs smooth as silk and has snappy throttle response, PHUK that EGR valve. This has been the case on quite a few older vehicles I have owned. Maybe it's just me.....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You could be right too. In a sense, an EGR valve is creating a biggo vacuum leak in between the intake and exhaust manifold. But its a trade off. Its supposed to give a little better mpg overall, and it also reduces emmisions, but I do see how it could affect low rpm power.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You could be right too. In a sense, an EGR valve is creating a biggo vacuum leak in between the intake and exhaust manifold. But its a trade off. Its supposed to give a little better mpg overall, and it also reduces emmisions, but I do see how it could affect low rpm power.
Next time ya take the fo buh fo out, unplug the EGR and see what I mean. Make sure the motor is warmed up. I just can't understand how it can help mileage if your giving it more throttle, doesn't make sense to me...:baby:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Next time ya take the fo buh fo out, unplug the EGR and see what I mean. Make sure the motor is warmed up. I just can't understand how it can help mileage if your giving it more throttle, doesn't make sense to me...:baby:

What EGR valve??? Its got an Eddybrock EPS intake, headers and Eddy 600 E choke carb. Trust me, its much more responsive and peppy than my 454. This Fo buh Fo runs. Can't wait to get it on dry pavement and feel the spunkiness hooking up. Its a very responsive throttle and revs up quick. Don't thnk I haven't been playin in the snow.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
But, I do beleive you. I know what an EGR valve does and you should notice a little differance at low rpms. At higher rpms its not going to be noticeable. You know how to test and EGR Valve??? With motor idiling, hit the EGR with a vacuum pump. It should stumble and about kill or kill the motor. Cuz the 'rpm is to low to recover from the opening of the EGR valve. You are right.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
EGR valves suck for two reasons.

1. It's a potential problem if the pintle gets stuck.
2. It helps dirty up the intake system.

There's no emissions testing around here, so if I have an EGR failure, it gets removed. If it's in the way of getting at something else, it gets removed. If I feel like removing it just because, it gets removed. Smog pumps to. When I got my '88 Burb home, I immediately cut the smog belt off. Later when the water pump needed replaced, bye bye smog pump and brackets.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

There's no emissions testing around here, so if I have an EGR failure, it gets removed. If it's in the way of getting at something else, it gets removed. If I feel like removing it just because, it gets removed. Smog pumps to. When I got my '88 Burb home, I immediately cut the smog belt off. Later when the water pump needed replaced, bye bye smog pump and brackets.
:handshake:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

You're exactly right. Mega carbon build up causes both those problems you suggest. Honeslty, I think EGR needs to be done away with for those reasons. Its only circulating a very small portion of the exhaust gas anyway. Cat Converters can pretty much take care of all of that, no need for EGR these days. But apparently the claim has been made that EGR helps with mpg. I say not likley, but as said, it does sound good on paper.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
In 1973, Pontiac got busted for leaving the EGR off the 455SDs...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ahhh, is that who it was??? I knew someone did, but didn't know who it was. I knew it was a OEM hipo motor and that's all I knew.