V30 454 on propane question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRandle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Silverado
Engine Size
Need some insight..

Want to know what y'all are running in your big blocks that run on propane or any input you may have..

Spark plugs?
Plug wires?
Oil?
Oil Filter?

My trucks an 87 V30 454 on propane and I'm about to do routine maintenance on it. Just thought I'd see what some of you guys run. First time big block and propane owner here lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Need some insight..

Want to know what y'all are running in your big blocks that run on propane or any input you may have..

Spark plugs?
Plug wires?
Oil?
Oil Filter?

My trucks an 87 V30 454 on propane and I'm about to do routine maintenance on it. Just thought I'd see what some of you guys run. First time big block and propane owner here lol

You have my interest as a future Vortec 454 swapper, any mileage increase? Worth the conversion cost? Down sides?

JRandle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Silverado
Engine Size
You have my interest as a future Vortec 454 swapper, any mileage increase? Worth the conversion cost? Down sides?

I have yet to drive it enough to compare it to my previous truck that had a 350/700r4 combo... this v30 I have has had the big block and propane on it since 87 lol

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
My dad had a '76 C30 that he converted to propane, but all I know is he converted it back because he said propane was not as easily obtainable as gas/diesel, and propane places are pretty much 9-5 business whereas you can find gas and diesel 24 hours a day in most places. He said he otherwise enjoyed it. I'd love to ask him more about it because propane and natural gas conversions interest me, too, but he's not here anymore. The truck still is, but he converted it back probably thirty or so years ago.

JRandle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Silverado
Engine Size
Well so far I love the truck and the fact it has propane injection. I need to put new fuel tanks in it to run reg gas in it..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Was this an OE propane set up? Pics please....I thought of running propane on my BB with dual mixers and well I would of had to do a bunch of head work to make it last and didn't want to pull it apart. And of course now there is a 24 hr auto propane station right down the road. Gotta love the octane level of propane and the price as well.

JRandle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Silverado
Engine Size
Was this an OE propane set up? Pics please....I thought of running propane on my BB with dual mixers and well I would of had to do a bunch of head work to make it last and didn't want to pull it apart. And of course now there is a 24 hr auto propane station right down the road. Gotta love the octane level of propane and the price as well.

I'm not 100% sure if it was OE or not.. wasn't sure if that was an actual option or if it was added after purchase.

Will get some pics asap! May start a build thread.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'm not 100% sure if it was OE or not.. wasn't sure if that was an actual option or if it was added after purchase.

Will get some pics asap! May start a build thread.

That would be a great addition there is a section for you 1ton guys.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I thought about running propane, would have to build an engine for it but that's no biggie, thing is I just can't get into the looks of ugly propane tanks, lol..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I thought about running propane, would have to build an engine for it but that's no biggie, thing is I just can't get into the looks of ugly propane tanks, lol..
You can hide the tanks for me it's the ugly mixers and heaters required to run propane.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You can hide the tanks for me it's the ugly mixers and heaters required to run propane.
Yeah, those are ugly for sure, although a buddy of mine got creative in the plumbing and chroming on his and it didn't look too bad at all..

JRandle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Silverado
Engine Size
I don't mind the way any of it looks! Gives it character! Lol

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here's one.
You must be registered for see images attach

JRandle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Silverado
Engine Size
If I get home at a decent hour from work I will take one! My setup is different then that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahara