Upgraded steering gear selection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Reason

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've got a 83 Chevy K10 that is lifted with 35x12.50 R15 tires. I carried my truck into the shop to look at the leaking steering gear and he told me he would need to replace the entire box cause the seals were shot. Said to not buy the AutoZone or other parts store replacement. Said I needed one that was upgraded for off-road use. Now keep in mind this truck is not a mud truck. It is being built to play around and enter into car shows. I have been looking on the internet for information and have not had much luck. I'm looking for some guidance and what to replace my stock steering box with which can hold up. I'm tired of it leaking on my garage floor. I need help.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I've heard good things about PSC steering boxes- but I do not own one. Instead I've went thru several O'reillys ones that are crap. Someday I'll get a good one when I go to cross over steering.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/PSCsteering.htm

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I've got a 83 Chevy K10 that is lifted with 35x12.50 R15 tires. I carried my truck into the shop to look at the leaking steering gear and he told me he would need to replace the entire box cause the seals were shot. Said to not buy the AutoZone or other parts store replacement. Said I needed one that was upgraded for off-road use. Now keep in mind this truck is not a mud truck. It is being built to play around and enter into car shows. I have been looking on the internet for information and have not had much luck. I'm looking for some guidance and what to replace my stock steering box with which can hold up. I'm tired of it leaking on my garage floor. I need help.
I will say this for autozone, I used their rebuilt one on my c10 and its worked fine. I dont abuse it as much as a 4x4 but it is a daily. Plus if it does leak, They should replace it for free. And its not the worst part to put in and out

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I'd look at a PSC steering box as an upgrade for your bigger tire and suspension setup. Pricing for the unit isn't really terrible considering how high some of the high performance units are and my understanding is that with the PSC item if it fails I think they have really outstanding CSR's. One other thing I would check for and have done, if it has not been already, is the frame reinforcement kit. No sense installing a 370 dollar steering box and then turn around and crack the frame... Just my $02. I think you can get the reinforcement parts off ebay or amazon for around 60 USD too.

PSC steering box: http://www.pscmotorsports.com/80-91-gm-4wd-truck-suv-steering-gear.html

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
You already have one post people are replying on, You might want to delete this one and not double post for ease of reconciliation.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
You already have one post people are replying on, You might want to delete this one and not double post for ease of reconciliation.
Threads merged and cleaned up :waytogo:

Chevynut46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
off road design has a good steering box brace for about a 100 buckls IIRC. I personally went with a psc steering box with the ports in it for hydro assist if I ever wanted to go that route.. Do it once kinda thing.. I understand budgets though, so its not for everyone. I see nothing wrong with a regular reman from a parts store for just a normal daily

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
go to a medium/heavy truck repair shop and ask who does their steering boxes. then take it there and get it rebuilt. the places that rebuild the boxes for medium and heavy trucks don't mess around and do half ass rebuilds. I had mine done last year and it cost 240 bucks. highdesertranger

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I tried autozone route and it did not work out even after couple of returns. Vote for proper rebuild

John Reason

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the advice. Sorry for the double post. First one I hit the post button too soon without clicking the tracking option.

dougbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500/nv4500/np241c/33x12.50x16/4.10 Gears 14BFF
Engine Size
5.3L - 2002 Silverado, rebuilt top end, long tube headers
any mid level gear box recommendations out there, way above Autozoo and below the PSC?

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
FWIW, PSC is actually the mid-level. There are some other brands that are about 200 bucks more.

Jerry phillion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Does GM or any other company make a quicker steering box,
Like the newer trucks have, that will fit a 87 r10 swb 2wheel
Drive truck.