U Joint Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I'm going to have my u-joints replaced. It has three u-joints and a carrier bearing. Is one brand any better than the others? I've always heard good about MOOG and Spicer.

Also, does the driveshaft need to be rebalanced? I've had some people say yes while others say no.

@HotRodPC do you know of anybody in the OKC area that does it for reasonable if I bring them the entire driveshaft? I'm down that way fairly often since I have family in Edmond.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Spicer. As far as balancing it isn't a bad idea are you getting a new carrier bearing as well?

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
Spicer. As far as balancing it isn't a bad idea are you getting a new carrier bearing as well?
Yes, I intend to replace the carrier bearing as well.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Good idea as well. Might as well do it all your gonna be working that truck.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Since it's all apart I'd replace the carrier bearing at the same time, because you know that will be the next thing to take a **** soon, lol.

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
Since it's all apart I'd replace the carrier bearing at the same time, because you know that will be the next thing to take a **** soon, lol.
My thoughts exactly!

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@HotRodPC do you know of anybody in the OKC area that does it for reasonable if I bring them the entire driveshaft? I'm down that way fairly often since I have family in Edmond.

Precision Drive is the best place to have driveshaft work done in OKC. They are not far off I-40 at SW 15th and MacArthur.
405-495-1344

Also, I had my motor built up where you live in Enid. Dunsworth Machine.

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
Precision Drive is the best place to have driveshaft work done in OKC. They are not far off I-40 at SW 15th and MacArthur.
405-495-1344

Also, I had my motor built up where you live in Enid. Dunsworth Machine.
Yeah, Dunsworth builds a lot of motors. I may end up having them build my next one.

What did Dunsworth build for you?

On the driveshaft thing, I found another place local and they quoted me $225 for all new u-joints (Neapco joints) and carrier bearing and rebalancing. Precision quoted me the same price. So I guess I'll give the local guys a shot.Thanks for sharing the info @Splandman !!

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, Dunsworth builds a lot of motors. I may end up having them build my next one.

What did Dunsworth build for you?
@Splandman !!

They built me a 383. I gave them a lot of the parts, I bought some Promaxx heads, had the rotating assembly already, and quite a few other parts. They supplied the block, machine work, assembly, and dyno tuned it. About the only thing on my truck project that went smoothly. I will definitely use them again if I can ever afford another project.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400