two donor vehicles or three projects? ha

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richiemoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4.3L
My best friend's dad has two square bodies sitting in the yard, that my buddy's mom wants GONE!
I remember one is a Standale, but i didn't know that he had another. One is a big block and one is a small block. Both run!

So, do i buy them both (rhetorical question),(1) take the parts that i want and part out the others? (2) Do i still combine the best parts into my truck, but try to pretty up the other two trucks and sell them? Mine has a 4.3L, but i'm not going to get rid of mine, too much sentimental value. (3) Or, sell one, secretly keep a second one hidden at a buddy's house for a few years until my projects are caught up and my wife won't kill me....

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd buy them, and you'll probably get a good deal. I'd let condition dictate what happens. If they're in excellent shape, keep them and build them separately. If they're in okay shape or one's better and one's not, I'd combine both into one truck. If they're in horrid shape, I'd plug parts into your original square.

richiemoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4.3L
I'd buy them, and you'll probably get a good deal. I'd let condition dictate what happens. If they're in excellent shape, keep them and build them separately. If they're in okay shape or one's better and one's not, I'd combine both into one truck. If they're in horrid shape, I'd plug parts into your original square.
Thanks, that is what i was thinking, but i needed to hear someone else think that is the way to go as well... ha In a perfect world, i'd keep all three to drive around!! But... I'm not sure how realistic that is. I could maybe see one as a work truck and another as a show truck. Sell the third to re-coupe some money? I'll definitely have to take a look at them this weekend.

Another issue is space. I told my wife that i was going to put in a newer v8 and sell my '97 f150 first, then buy my dad's '86 custom deluxe. Well, i had to buy it or lose it... And i already have my work car, my wife's work car and her wrangler in the driveway. So i'm currently at five vehicles and i live in the city... 4 vehicles, with two in the garage, it doesn't look so bad. but 5 or 7 total, i'm going to look like "that" guy. just kidding, zero chance my wife will let this happen..... haha i need to move back to the country and build a barn!!!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Pick one and say it's hers and you'll build it for her. :) The other 2 are yours.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I also saw the post about your other square after this one. It sounds like that one is in decent shape, and you just want to upgrade and not so much repair. I think it'd be cool if one was in bad shape but had stuff yours needed, and the other one was in good enough shape that it could be its own independent project.

richiemoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4.3L
I also saw the post about your other square after this one. It sounds like that one is in decent shape, and you just want to upgrade and not so much repair. I think it'd be cool if one was in bad shape but had stuff yours needed, and the other one was in good enough shape that it could be its own independent project.
That is true, the main reason i'm interested in two extra trucks are for their parts. After looking at what some of the used parts go for, this can save me a LOT of money!! I'd be game with driving one as a daily driver and sell my car that only gets 18-23 mpgs. And fix up another. Like you said, it all depends on what shape the other two are in. My main one, i need the rockers welded in and i need to see what the frame looks like first. I believe the other two are long boxes though and mine is a short... Everything is kind of happening quickly, so i'm excited, but also nervous of what decision to make.

Two weeks ago, i only had to weld the frame on my wifes jeep and learn to body weld, and install a lift kit this fall. Now i have a kid on the way, another truck and possibly two more trucks, that i feel like i have to buy, to save money on the parts... lol Not complaining, just slightly overwhelmed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell