Turn signal fuze blowing

Discussion in 'Electrical & Audio' started by 76chevyc20454, May 18, 2017.

1. 76chevyc20454

76chevyc20454 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c20
    Engine Size:
    I need some help here, the turn signals on my truck were working fine then it blew a fuze. I put a new one in and as soon as i turn the key over it blowes it again without activating and of the turn signals. I thought it might be somthing in the switch since i just put a new cam in it so i unpluged it. It did the same thing. Flashers work fine. Any ideas on where to start? Wiring is my weakness lol

2. chengny

chengny Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jerry
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K3500
    Engine Size:
    350/5.7
    There are two circuits supplied by that fuse - the T/S lights and the B/U lights.

Isolate the circuit with the short by pulling the T/S flasher.

If the fuse doesn't blow - with the T/S flasher pulled, the short is in directional lighting. And because it is blowing without operating the blinkers, the short is most likely in the feed from the flasher/fuse block to the switch.

If the fuse continues to blow - even with the flasher out...inspect the wiring to your B/U lamps switch. The location of that switch depends on transmission type. A/T is in the neutral safety switch at the bottom of the steering column. If you have a M/T, it is probably mounted on the casing.

3. jetman

jetman Full Access Member

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10
    Engine Size:
    Best way to troubleshoot steady or intermittent 12V short is via insertion of horn in place of fuse w/ male spade connectors. With that and a schematic, start isolating as stated above, you will have it figured out soon.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  4. Georgeb

Georgeb Full Access Member

First Name:
    George
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Burb Z71
    Engine Size:
    Or become thoroughly annoyed. You can use a 12v lamp instead of a horn if you prefer a quieter method. The only downfall is you need to see it. long wires allow it to be located in a visible area.
    Another option would be a buzzer like the one for the door or key-in.

5. jetman

jetman Full Access Member

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10
    Engine Size:
    Rag should be stuffed in horn to keep sanity. Watching a lamp while keeping an eye on wires as they are manipulated is difficult. Low impedance load, as opposed to piezoelectric key-in buzzers, works well in diagnosing intermittent issues.