turbo 400 sometimes sticks in first sometimes not!!!???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Contractor Ray

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Sometimes the trans won't shift out of first. I have to stop and put it back into park, then drive and try again till it starts shifting ok. Also, if it won't upshift I can shift it to second and it shifts right away. When I put it back into drive sometimes it works and sometimes it falls back to first.
When it's working good it seems to shift ok for an old work truck. I'm pretty good mechanically, but have very little trans experience. I googled like he'll, but I couldn't find any issues similar to mine.
Thanks in advance.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Sometimes the trans won't shift out of first. I have to stop and put it back into park, then drive and try again till it starts shifting ok. Also, if it won't upshift I can shift it to second and it shifts right away. When I put it back into drive sometimes it works and sometimes it falls back to first.
When it's working good it seems to shift ok for an old work truck. I'm pretty good mechanically, but have very little trans experience. I googled like he'll, but I couldn't find any issues similar to mine.
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the site. What does your fluid look like. Your modulator could be shitting the bed.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
My first thought is the governor is sticking or the plastic gear has worn out. Easy fix either way.

Contractor Ray

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Thanks for the quick reply guys.
The fluid level is good. I added some Lucas to it when it started happening last week. I pulled the module earlier and checked for vacuum pressure and a leaking diaphragm. both serm good. I just pulled the governor and the gear looks good. Also the weights seem to move easily and the shaft Inside Moves when the weights move. So I think that looks good too. like I said I'm pretty green when it comes to trannys.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks for the quick reply guys.
The fluid level is good. I added some Lucas to it when it started happening last week. I pulled the module earlier and checked for vacuum pressure and a leaking diaphragm. both serm good. I just pulled the governor and the gear looks good. Also the weights seem to move easily and the shaft Inside Moves when the weights move. So I think that looks good too. like I said I'm pretty green when it comes to trannys.
Did you try manually shifting it threw the gears?

Contractor Ray

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
ya. it always goes into second if I put it in second. When I put it in drive sometimes it's fine. Sometimes it goes back into first.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sounds like crud in the VB..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Also I meant condition (color) along with level. I should of elaborated.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
There used to be a bit of a mad method on clearing up crud in a th350 by slamming in reverse while 5-10 mph or so on gravel road. Someone would need to back the theory up that it might work on th400 and also probably really a last resort type of a thing.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
There used to be a bit of a mad method on clearing up crud in a th350 by slamming in reverse while 5-10 mph or so on gravel road. Someone would need to back the theory up that it might work on th400 and also probably really a last resort type of a thing.
I believe that is to force full mainline pressure threw...we used to unhook the VW automatics TCM putting it in limp which then runs full line pressure threw the valvebody and would take care of sticking solenoids. I know not the same thing but what your suggesting is the same principle.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That is correct. I had forgatten what exactly it did, but line pressure increase it was.
I believe that is to force full mainline pressure threw...we used to unhook the VW automatics TCM putting it in limp which then runs full line pressure threw the valvebody and would take care of sticking solenoids. I know not the same thing but what your suggesting is the same principle.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm going to suggest, pull the Vac Mod, then make a hook with a piece of wire and pull the Vac mod valve out. Look for gouges, clean it up, lube with vaseline and reinstall. See if that does it. Next to check is the governor but that's been suggested already. If it's not the easy, as Art said, some gunk in the VB namely the manual shift valve.

Contractor Ray

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
I'm going to suggest, pull the Vac Mod, then make a hook with a piece of wire and pull the Vac mod valve out. Look for gouges, clean it up, lube with vaseline and reinstall. See if that does it. Next to check is the governor but that's been suggested already. If it's not the easy, as Art said, some gunk in the VB namely the manual shift valve.
I'll give that a shot with the mod valve. Already checked that and the gov, but I didn't pull the valve out of the mod. might just replace it. pretty cheap. thanks guys!!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll give that a shot with the mod valve. Already checked that and the gov, but I didn't pull the valve out of the mod. might just replace it. pretty cheap. thanks guys!!!
Yes, it's common for peeps to cheak the vac mod when having symptoms, but they don't pull the valve out and check it. Modulator can be good as gold but if the valve is hung up it's going to have symptoms of bad modulator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8