Turbo 400 Build - Mega Carnage to Better than New.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That one trany looks nasty.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Yes, it was very nasty. It was a CL purchase where my customer was told it was a good running transmisison, that all he had to do was change the fluid and filter, then install it. Yeah right !!! The thing has been submerged in water and mud. The pan was full of water and mud, and there was even water and mud up in the clutch drums. It obviously had sat and soaked in muddy water.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think it will be easier to follow if you keep the dissasembly and assembly threads separate boss.

You're probably right. I might do that when the time comes. Time permitting.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Kinda cool I guess. I missed alot of steps in this build. I am building a Th400 now and kinda stuck and reffering to my own thread.
I am at the point of Post #16 Pic #2 ready to put the next drum in, and it just seems to me there should be a Torrington bearing or at least a Thrust washer over the nose of the center support for the drum to ride on. None of my exploded views are showing one. I am not showing one here, and I can't think of a part available that should be there. I guess it doesn't get one. I'm going for it without one. At the end after the pump is on, I'll check the front end play and if its to loose, then I'll sure know I missed something won't I??? This is when you come into some questions. I am building a transmission out of a broken case I had repaired, then with all my left over Th400 parts, and a new gasket and seal kit, I am putting together a Th400 for the 88 Burb. Just pretty much a stocker OEM trans with a Stage 1 RV/Heavy Duty shift kit since its a 3/4 ton Burb and I'll likley be towing my trailer and other trucks with it. Want to keep it cooler with comfy but firm quick shifts. Nothing neck breaking. Just a good solid firm shift.

Also when I get some parts in my hands that are on the way, I'll have some goodies to talk about.

Since I skipped so much in this thread, I might add a Valve Body disassembly and pump disassemble to this thread. Kind of important parts I did not incuded in the last build.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Waiting patiently :popcorn:

WTH are you talking about Dave?? You say in the Th350 Build thread you didn't see this Th400 Build thread. Obviously you did. You have a post here on it back in February. So look it over if you want. This is the transbuild from 84C20 that I bought for $100 with the newer 454 and the Th400 was toasted as you can tell. One of the nastiest tranmissions I have built. Thing was burnt up worse than any other I had seen.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, that is a reffered to as a center support, but its not like a Th400 by any stretch. That is more like a fixed member that has a 1 way overrun clutch going thru it.
On the Th400, the Center Support is much longer, is bushed all the way thru the whole length, and uses a joining shaft to connect the shafts and make them completely bridged.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is a good one of the Th400, I'm not seeing a Thrust Washer or Torrington Bearing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is my parts I was expecing. Remember the deal about these and how rare they are??? I got 2 of them delivered for $55. $20ea x 2 + $15 shipping. I have seen these drums go for $150-$200 EACH on eBay before. See Post #16 of this thread for a better explanation of what they are. These will be put on the shelf for all out Hi Po builds. Maybe something with over 600hp and a Transbrake. :party36:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Spare400Build 013.jpg
    Spare400Build 013.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Yeah, that is a reffered to as a center support, but its not like a Th400 by any stretch. That is more like a fixed member that has a 1 way overrun clutch going thru it.
On the Th400, the Center Support is much longer, is bushed all the way thru the whole length, and uses a joining shaft to connect the shafts and make them completely bridged.

Ah interesting

I only posted those pics cause I read that statement and started searching if there was a way to swap one in :rotflmao:

85HeavyChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Lookin' great:waytogo:. Thinking 'bout putting a shift kit in my TH400. Keep it up:happy160:.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
HR, I've been considering doing a manual valve body but if I don't and want to use the kick down feature, can I buy a complete harness and switch or do I have to rob it off of another square?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HR, I've been considering doing a manual valve body but if I don't and want to use the kick down feature, can I buy a complete harness and switch or do I have to rob it off of another square?

Hmm, now what do you mean a kickdown feature? A full manual valve body, there is nothing automatic about it. No passing gear, nothing. If you want passing gear, you shift it down yourself. All 100% of any function is manual. It's just like a manual transmission without a clutch and a straight line shift pattern, and most likely a Reverse Pattern. It's been awhile since I looked into a Full Manual Valve Body, I think I only did 1 Th400 in FMVB and 3 Th350's. Most everyone's trans I worked on, My stage 2 was good enough to chirp 2nd and snap necks so most just went with that.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
HR, I've been considering doing a manual valve body>>> but if I don't <<<and want to use the kick down feature, can I buy a complete harness and switch or do I have to rob it off of another square?

Hmm, now what do you mean a kickdown feature? A full manual valve body, there is nothing automatic about it. No passing gear, nothing. If you want passing gear, you shift it down yourself. All 100% of any function is manual. It's just like a manual transmission without a clutch and a straight line shift pattern, and most likely a Reverse Pattern. It's been awhile since I looked into a Full Manual Valve Body, I think I only did 1 Th400 in FMVB and 3 Th350's. Most everyone's trans I worked on, My stage 2 was good enough to chirp 2nd and snap necks so most just went with that.
I don't think you read my post correctly, I know all about the manual valve body stuff, I was wondering about adding the kickdown feature. My truck doesn't have the kickdown harness, is there a place I can get one new one and the switch?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trchno