Turbo 350 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
Yes we have these squarebody around, not so common as all US cars; I love them, maybe sometime, I'd love it,

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
Not sure I got "Now just send me a hot French chick that speaks English with that sexy accent, but leave the snails at home, and I'll call it even"

I remenber in the US and England girls saying: Christophe, stop to have a too good accent... this is what you mean ?, I know a french guy/girl speaking english is lovely, same as a US or British guy or more a girl are lovely for us, prefer a girl talk ....
MAn your post for TH350 is re&lly great !

Cheers from France, PAU

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not sure I got "Now just send me a hot French chick that speaks English with that sexy accent, but leave the snails at home, and I'll call it even"

I remenber in the US and England girls saying: Christophe, stop to have a too good accent... this is what you mean ?, I know a french guy/girl speaking english is lovely, same as a US or British guy or more a girl are lovely for us, prefer a girl talk ....
MAn your post for TH350 is re&lly great !

Cheers from France, PAU

Yes, that's what I am talking about. Being from a differant part of the world, the accents are totally differant, but cool. I only said she'd have to speak English becaue I don't understand French. I said leave the snails at home, becaue I don't eat Escargo. I won't eat anything that makes my car go. :happy175: :happy175:

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Yes it's a '77 Pontiac Formula 400. I am also a musicien and own a Gibson Les Paul black beauty, see photos.
These two are my favorites , thank's to americain crafted stuff.

I know here it's not a firebird forum but found the transmission discussion great!

I wish my Formula looked that good.

Nice car and nice guitar! :rocking:

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
My last difficulties with my TH but all is allright. I have difficulties in puting back the pump, last assembly enough engage ?, see photos, a special thing I forgot ?

Thank's for experience

Attachments

• final assembly.jpg
    final assembly.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 252

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Have you got it done now? Does or did it feel like it's hitting something solid? Could be the seal rings on the pump. Be sure to put lots of lube on them so they slide nicely into the opening of the drum. How about the bushings on the pump or in the drum? Did you replace any of those, are they the right size and in the right position? Did you do any pars swapping as far as the intermediate piston on the pump? Maybe its a 6 cyl motor piston and you have 3 set of clutch/steels that are for a V8 motor. Its got to be something minor.
Do keep in mind though, the pump usually presses in when torquing it, but still, it should drop in at least past the O ring that is showing in the pics. The torque it to spec and it pushes the pump to its place as you do. This is why you want cross tighten the bolts. Then check your end shaft play clearance. If its to tight, then you got to much of something. If to loose, you forgot something or the wrong side selective thrust washer on the pump.

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
Have you got it done now? YES Does or did it feel like it's hitting something solid? YES Could be the seal rings on the pump. Be sure to put lots of lube on them so they slide nicely into the opening of the drum / I did not put lub you MIGHT be right. How about the bushings on the pump or in the drum? Did you replace any of those, NO they were in very good conditions are they the right size and in the right position? Did you do any pars swapping as far as the intermediate piston on the pump? Maybe its a 6 cyl motor piston and you have 3 set of clutch/steels that are for a V8 motor/ NO.
or the wrong side selective thrust washer on the pump. I have the stock torrington bearing and the stock shim on the pump.

I will try back this evening using lots of lub on the pump seal bearing.

Thank's for the reply !

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Have you got it done now? YES Does or did it feel like it's hitting something solid? YES Could be the seal rings on the pump. Be sure to put lots of lube on them so they slide nicely into the opening of the drum / I did not put lub you MIGHT be right. How about the bushings on the pump or in the drum? Did you replace any of those, NO they were in very good conditions are they the right size and in the right position? Did you do any pars swapping as far as the intermediate piston on the pump? Maybe its a 6 cyl motor piston and you have 3 set of clutch/steels that are for a V8 motor/ NO.
or the wrong side selective thrust washer on the pump. I have the stock torrington bearing and the stock shim on the pump.

I will try back this evening using lots of lub on the pump seal bearing.

Thank's for the reply !

Ok, that could be your problem. The sealing rings are hitting on the lip of the drum. It only takes 1. You want to put lube on them sealing rings as to hold them into position. If this is the case, don't be suprised now if you might have broken one of the seal rings. If so, just use one of the old ones that you took off. Those are rarely wore out, so you'd be just fine to use one of the old ones.

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
OK, I just tried back with plenty of lub, same thing. I measured the necessary space, and space to go, its OK, it seems a ring that touch the drum, always the same one; I need to spend more time on it, I am confident, but have other thing to do this evening, I will get in touch by end of the week,
Cheers,

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
I got it !!!!
It was the pump assembly that was not well centered, I disassembed it and mounted centered directly on the trans case; then put it back and all is allright now, front end play 0,032"..... I finish the remaining body valve assemby this afternoon

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I got it !!!!
It was the pump assembly that was not well centered, I disassembed it and mounted centered directly on the trans case; then put it back and all is allright now, front end play 0,032"..... I finish the remaining body valve assemby this afternoon

Ahhh cool !!! I never even thought of that being a problem. There is a special tool you're supposed to use to bolt the 2 pump halves together so that doesn't happen. I don't use the special tool. Before I start putting to many parts back in the transmission, I make sure the pump assembly is already together. I put the pump face down, or upside down, in the case, and use the case to align the pump. This way you know its perfect and no special tool needed.

Glad to hear you figured it out. :waytogo:

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
This procedure is in the Ronn Sessions from HP books you well know. I had a doudt on my first pump mounting, did not have the circle stuff to center the two parts of the pump, did with the eyes, not good, centering using Ron'procedure, all is allright, a slight shift in both parts could not alwow the rings to fit in. Did not broke any ring...

Cheers froms south west France :wave::wave::grd:

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
0,032" front end play is not too much ?, I "just have to drive a 400 ci '77 Formula Pontiac, that is around 250-300 HP

I am VERY glad to have found the issue :grd:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
.032 should be just fine if I recall. That's not much at all and its not supposed to be much.
Yes, the Ron Session books are good. I've got the one for Th400 but not Th350. Does he say to put the pump in the case upside down too? I like that method. It can be wrong if you do it that way, but true, the pump must be aligned and eye balling it doesn't work well at all.

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
"Does he say to put the pump in the case upside down too?"

Yes it does... this is yes the best way :wave:

Latest posts

Forum statistics