Turbo 350 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I wouldn't recommend Vaseline, it's a petroleum product and not a hydraulic product. It may be fine but I would rather use the right stuff. You can melt Vaseline and dip a cotton ball in it and make an excellent fire starter for camping.

And Dave, you gotta be joking!

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
That is NOT part of a trans rebuild. That is part of the R&R, commonly known as Remove and Replace. In other terms, that is part of installation of the rebuilt transmission into the vehicle. Its actually quite simple. Your cooling lines are threaded. The top line goes to the top cooling line connection, the bottom line goes to the bottom line connection. They are threaded just like a bolt and nut. You simply thread the cooling line into the connection and use a 1/2 wrench, prefferably a flare nut wrench aka line wrench. I'd have to say its about as easy as buttering bread.

Ok, Gotcha.

I wouldn't recommend Vaseline, it's a petroleum product and not a hydraulic product. It may be fine but I would rather use the right stuff. You can melt Vaseline and dip a cotton ball in it and make an excellent fire starter for camping.

If talking about me asking about hooking up the trans lines. I wasn't. I see on ebay there's special tools removal and installation of the trans lines. Thats why I asked.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E

Trans jel is also a petrolum product

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Ok, Gotcha.

If talking about me asking about hooking up the trans lines. I wasn't. I see on ebay there's special tools removal and installation of the trans lines. Thats why I asked.

yea dave there used in NEWER trans NOT a 350 or 400 they are a quick connect similar to fuel lines but you dont need to waste anymore money on tools YOU will NEVER use, if you do by chance ever do pull a tranny then just use a pick.

Oh and dave see signature below

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Vaseline will melt down and become part of the fluid and do no harm. People been using Vaseline to build transmission for ever. Its grease, like all purpose grease, wheel bearing grease or white lithum grease you don't want to use. I'd be willing to bet a Dana 60 front Chevy axle with 5.13 gears that TransJel is a mixture of trans fluid and Petroleum Jelly. I have built many transmisison with Vaseline. I do prefer to use TransJel, but when I run out of TJ, I am not drivng 25 miles to the trans supply store to buy TJ when I have Vaseline in the bathroom and want the build done NOW. For real Vaseline is OK for trans building and is highly recommened by all the pro's. Some pro's even say, don't waste your money on TJ.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
...I'd be willing to bet a Dana 60 front Chevy axle with 5.13 gears that...
:lol: Nice try! :crazy: I thought hydraulic fluid and petroleum products didn't mix well, or maybe it wouldn't be good for the disks or other parts. Good to know!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok, Gotcha.

:lol: Nice try! :crazy: I thought hydraulic fluid and petroleum products didn't mix well, or maybe it wouldn't be good for the disks or other parts. Good to know!

Huhhh??? Whutt??? Surely you might be able to come up with D60 Front and 5.13's.

You might be thinking about the trans fluid looking a little cloudy after a rebuild with Vaseline. That can happen if the builder used an ass load of Vaseline. But with heat from the fluid, the cloudiness actually goes away after a few hundred miles. Not sure if it actually mixes in the with the fluid or if it actually discipates and leaves the fluid. But, I've never seen new trans fluid get cloudy at all using TransJel and why I like to use it. Its about double the price of Vaseline, but used sparingly like I use it, you can probably build 8-10 transmission with one $6 container of TransJel. And I just use the standard stuff, I don't buy the BS of the Gold being any better. Other than your bushing surfaces that spin, the biggest reason you use the TJ is just to hold thrust washers, torrington bearings and gaskets in place while assembling the trans. Also a good idea to put some lube on your splines of the input and output shaft too. But I don't put it on there cuz, the unit might set around for a day or two or whatever before being installed. Then the TJ just collects dust and dirt, so I just tell peeps at the time of install put some TJ in the driveshaft yoke and in the splines of the TC. If you don't have any TJ or Vaseline, then just some transfluid.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've got just a minor addition to this thread. I want to show the different style ring gear attached to the output shaft and which one is better, why and how to identify the part when you see it.

Notice in the original build of this transmission, the ring gear uses a thrust washer. Poor picture quailty, but you get the point.
attachment.php

Notice this later stlye uses a Torrington Bearing. Anytime you can use a Torrington bearing instead of a thrust washer, you are reducing friction on the parts. This means the transmission will absorb less horsepower, and the function between the 2 parts that the bearing is seperating will be much smoother.
attachment.php

The quickest way to identify which ring gear you have, is the thrust washer model with have 3 holes in it for the thrust washer tabs. The Torrington bearing model, will NOT have the 3 holes, but will have a machined recess to make room for the Torrington bearing. Very easy to tell the difference. BTW, the thrust washer style is most common, so if you happen to find one that is the torrington style, I'd suggest you hold on to it for your next Th350 build.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 700adapt350 036.jpg
    700adapt350 036.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 3,948
  • 700adapt350 039.jpg
    700adapt350 039.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
This thread rocks! Not only that, but it helped me avoid a bonehead mistake!

I thought the vacuum modulator valve was just an extra governor valve, so I just left it hanging out on my bench. Glad I saw this thread and realized what it was so I can go install it before I get the trans in my brother's truck and blow something up! :wave:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This thread rocks! Not only that, but it helped me avoid a bonehead mistake!

I thought the vacuum modulator valve was just an extra governor valve, so I just left it hanging out on my bench. Glad I saw this thread and realized what it was so I can go install it before I get the trans in my brother's truck and blow something up! :wave:

Glad someone is getting use of the info.

Not installing the vac modulator wouldn't blow anything up, it just wouldn't shift properly if it ever did shift. The vac mod is used to help decide shift points.

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
Great post

THANK'S A LOT, far the best post in the world I ever seen on TH350 building !

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
THANK'S A LOT, far the best post in the world I ever seen on TH350 building !

Welcome to GMSB...

Welcome from France. Now just send me a hot French chick that speaks English with that sexy accent, but leave the snails at home, and I'll call it even. :High 5:

Am I understanding you have a Pontiac Formula Firebird??? I always loved those cars back in those days. Seemed everyone had a Trans Am and it didn't seem there were near as many Forumulas growing up so I always wanted a Forumla.

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
Good US stuff

Yes it's a '77 Pontiac Formula 400. I am also a musicien and own a Gibson Les Paul black beauty, see photos.
These two are my favorites , thank's to americain crafted stuff.

I know here it's not a firebird forum but found the transmission discussion great!

Attachments

• F400 les Paul.jpg
    F400 les Paul.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 160

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sharp Toys Chris !!! No Sweat, we have a couple other members that don't have a Squares too, but they hope to someday. Cool to have a member from France on board. Be sure to check in occosionally on some of the fun threads in the Lounge. Look around too. You might decide you want a squarebody too. They do have these old Squarebodys in France too don't they?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128