True Trac or Spool or Detroit Locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macdaddy11

Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
383 stroker
So new to the 2wd world but to clarify I do know the difference and probably know what the answers will be but wanted some input.

85 2wd half ton, not sure the gears but stock rear end completely, no posi, truck is just driven on street and might start getting to the drag strip now that it has a new motor.

I need some traction back there was thinking of just throwing in a mini spool cause its cheap and I know its locked, and I read a full spool you need to do a c clip eliminator and I think that's starting to get into too much money for me. thought of a true trac but im not sure how well these things act in 2wd trucks as essentially its just a clutchless limited slip, so theoretically if I was to do a burnout with a true trac the one tire would spin first then lock up both tires correct? and a full locker is a full locker. I know how that works.

Just trying to decide which to go with, any input is appreciated.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You don't want to run a spool on the street. Your tires, axles and carrier will hate you.

Do you want smooth traction or can you put up with a little popping and banging?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Definitely NO spool on the street..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Wusses lol spool +street use =broken axles.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep, learned that the hard way, lol..

Macdaddy11

Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
383 stroker
You don't want to run a spool on the street. Your tires, axles and carrier will hate you.

Do you want smooth traction or can you put up with a little popping and banging?

See I've ran one with a jeep before wasn't to bad, but I would prefer to not know its there. With a true trac could I still throw the rear end around a corner or do a burnout with both wheels? Right now if I put it to the floor and crank the wheel one way hard my one wheel spins like its on ice and the other nothing. Will a true trac actually lock both those up in that scenario or will you need a full locker?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
See I've ran one with a jeep before wasn't to bad, but I would prefer to not know its there. With a true trac could I still throw the rear end around a corner or do a burnout with both wheels? Right now if I put it to the floor and crank the wheel one way hard my one wheel spins like its on ice and the other nothing. Will a true trac actually lock both those up in that scenario or will you need a full locker?

A Jeep is a tad lighter then your truck. A lighter vehicle is a bit more forgiving when running a spool on the street. I ran one in my Monza back in the day with no issues but that was in a Dana 60.

Macdaddy11

Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
383 stroker
A Jeep is a tad lighter then your truck. A lighter vehicle is a bit more forgiving when running a spool on the street. I ran one in my Monza back in the day with no issues but that was in a Dana 60.
Yea I kinda figured a spool was out of the question, now I guess im just asking is what are the characteristics or a true trac? Am I going to get it and regret not buying a full locker, or am I going to buy a locker and regret all the clanking at slow speeds.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yea I kinda figured a spool was out of the question, now I guess im just asking is what are the characteristics or a true trac? Am I going to get it and regret not buying a full locker, or am I going to buy a locker and regret all the clanking at slow speeds.

What's wrong with an Eaton? For street manors and occasional track run it will serve you well. I can't comment on the Tru-Trak because I've never used one. Get yourself an Eaton for an 8.6 88up truck and the correct bearings to put it in a 8.5 and a pair of 12 bolt truck axles which are 30 spline to match the carrier. You may have to file the end of the axles to attain your .006 of cross pin clearance.

Macdaddy11

Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
383 stroker
What's wrong with an Eaton? For street manors and occasional track run it will serve you well. I can't comment on the Tru-Trak because I've never used one. Get yourself an Eaton for an 8.6 88up truck and the correct bearings to put it in a 8.5 and a pair of 12 bolt truck axles which are 30 spline to match the carrier. You may have to file the end of the axles to attain your .006 of cross pin clearance.

is an eaton like a limited slip? A true trac is pretty much a clutchless limited slip from my understanding. Had one in a jeep long time ago but completely different circumstances then this. going to a 8.6 is this just stronger because then it has 30- spline axles?

Now you mentioned 30 spline axles, are my stock ones 28?

Macdaddy11

Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
383 stroker
I think they are the same?
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
is an eaton like a limited slip? A true trac is pretty much a clutchless limited slip from my understanding. Had one in a jeep long time ago but completely different circumstances then this. going to a 8.6 is this just stronger because then it has 30- spline axles?

Now you mentioned 30 spline axles, are my stock ones 28?

The 8.6 is 30 spline and yes it has clutches and is rebuildable and can be set up tighter. And yes yours are 28 if it's a 10 bolt 8.5. I have a 8.6 Eaton as I have described in my front rear with 91 Burb axles. And a 12 bolt with a clutch posi for the rear. If I had a posi for the 10 bolt rear I have I'd use it because I have 30 spline rear axles from the 91 Burb as well.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I think they are the same?
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I have the second one down in my front rear. The 3rd one is an electrically operated locker. The Eaton requires different bearings to go in an 8.5 housing.same outside radius but different inside diameter. And Auburn I wouldn't recommend. It isn't rebuildable.

Macdaddy11

Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
383 stroker
I have the second one down in my front rear. The 3rd one is an electrically operated locker. The Eaton requires different bearings to go in an 8.5 housing.same outside radius but different inside diameter. And Auburn I wouldn't recommend. It isn't rebuildable.

Awesome thank you for all the info, you've cleared up a lot of my questions. One more if its not to much to ask, what are guys getting out of the 28 spline shafts in these? I know greatly depends on the tire size but im only pushing 446 at the crank and doubt ill go higher then that.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
:yawn:
Awesome thank you for all the info, you've cleared up a lot of my questions. One more if its not to much to ask, what are guys getting out of the 28 spline shafts in these? I know greatly depends on the tire size but im only pushing 446 at the crank and doubt ill go higher then that.

All depends on tire size and how your launching it. If your gonna upgrade your carrier it only makes sense to go 30 spline and swap out the axles. Either with 12 bolt axles from an earlier model which will be the same length with in a few thou or 89-91 Burb or Blazer axles. But if they come from an 89 make sure you count the splines because 89 was a half year. Pic in order left to right. 28 spline 87 8.5,30 spline 91 Burb 8.5,30 spline 77 12 bolt the Burb axle looks to be a bit beefier.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 189

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84