truck won't crank over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83 K20

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
my 1983 k20 that I'm in the process of restoring isn't getting any power. the interior lights won't go on and the volt meter isn't reading anything but my amber lights are still on. i cleaned the terminals, charged the batter and i even replaced the stater but still nothing

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Do a search on "fusible" as in fusible link. Locate
my 1983 k20 that I'm in the process of restoring isn't getting any power. the interior lights won't go on and the volt meter isn't reading anything but my amber lights are still on. i cleaned the terminals, charged the batter and i even replaced the stater but still nothing

First check your two main battery cables, the positive to the starter and the ground cable to the engine (usually to the alternator bracket).

If they are good, do a search here for the word "fusible" - as in fusible link. Locate the fusible links and check that they are not blown. Your year truck should have 3 fusible links. Two are down near the starter solenoid. They are spliced into the red leads right above the connection to the B terminal - where the big black wire from the battery attaches:

You must be registered for see images attach

There is another right at the firewall junction block:

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, I'll go with fusible link too. The no power is the giveaway on this one. Most common one to go is in Jerry's 2nd pic. That small black cylinder under the yellow arrow coming off the junction block is the fusible link.

If you jump a wire around that fusible link and get power... then there you go. Problem found.

83 K20

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i checked all of the fusible links and the all seem good except for one i replaced it with a sodderless wire connecter and still noting changed its the weirdest thing I'm getting no reading on the gauge cluster but where it lights up for the blinkers its light up

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Have you checked resistance on both main cables? Each end to end? I would check the ground cable end to body & block. Make sure there's a clean surface for them to attach to.

You need good solid connections on both positive & ground wires. Sounds like you took care of the battery end, be sure to check their opposite ends.

Where are you attaching the leads to the meter to check for power? Just curious

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I would pay close attention to the grounds. Sounds like a missing ground.

83 K20

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
it was a ground thanks guys i can't believe it was something so simple i bought a meeter and wasnt getting a reading from where it was grounded so i cleaned the ground with a wire brush and now it works can't wait to show all you guys this truck once i finish restoring her

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Sweet! Great news!

Latest posts