Truck leans on right side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
This may have been covered previously. My truck leans slightly, enough to notice, lower on right side. It has the same appearance from front and rear. I have seen other squares that look similar. Is this a common problem? Has anyone fixed this condition? The front springs were replaced approximately a year ago and did not make a difference.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Never mind. I guess I missed that in your post. Maybe mounting bushings? I’d check the shocks on that side just to be sure that they didn’t go limp relative to the others. I’ve not seen this much on squares. GMT400s, whew boy. I see plenty that lean with those.

Last edited:

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
Shocks were replaced in 2015 by PO before I purchased it in July 2015, but could still have gone bad. My thought was cab mounts but that would only affect cab. As I mentioned, noticeable from the rear also. Someone mentioned rear leaf springs but I'm not real sure that would cure the front. I saw a square a few days ago and notice the lean. Some mentions on internet that was due to the single fuel tank trucks on right side causing lean, but I'm not real sure that would cause it. It was in shop a few weeks ago on lift and I could tell from the rear it was still lower on right.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Shocks were replaced in 2015 by PO before I purchased it in July 2015, but could still have gone bad. My thought was cab mounts but that would only affect cab. As I mentioned, noticeable from the rear also. Someone mentioned rear leaf springs but I'm not real sure that would cure the front. I saw a square a few days ago and notice the lean. Some mentions on internet that was due to the single fuel tank trucks on right side causing lean, but I'm not real sure that would cause it. It was in shop a few weeks ago on lift and I could tell from the rear it was still lower on right.
Mine has dual tanks and appears to lean on one side too. Granted only one tank ever gets gas but its the other side that dont seem to lean

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
Mine has dual tanks and appears to lean on one side too. Granted only one tank ever gets gas but its the other side that dont seem to lean

So, which side gets gas and which side leans? Just curious.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Maybe y'all just have crooked eyes?

Seriously though, I've not seen too many squares that lean. But my money is on weak springs, front or rear.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

Seriously though, I've not seen too many squares that lean. But my money is on weak springs, front or rear.
Judging but the rust id say mines a combo of shocks and springs but im not rulling out my eyes lol

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L

No - it was an issue when new, too.

Every year or two there would be a big push within engineering to get it fixed. After dancing around a bit we would lose momentum and our attention would turn to wind noise or cost reduction, and the lean activity would die out until management got a bug in their craw to go after it again.

I usually just install a spacer to shim the low side up until level.

K

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Im just drivin it, i aint to bothered by it, eventually itll get new springs and shocks

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
No - it was an issue when new, too.

Every year or two there would be a big push within engineering to get it fixed. After dancing around a bit we would lose momentum and our attention would turn to wind noise or cost reduction, and the lean activity would die out until management got a bug in their craw to go after it again.

I usually just install a spacer to shim the low side up until level.

K

Was it primarily the 2wd or 4x4 trucks? Or both?

You must have built my trucks, lol. Every one of them I've had have sat level, within reason. Maybe .5 inch difference side to side, at the most. Except my C10, but the PO was a really big guy and it sags slightly to the left.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Was it primarily the 2wd or 4x4 trucks? Or both?

You must have built my trucks, lol. Every one of them I've had have sat level, within reason. Maybe .5 inch difference side to side, at the most. Except my C10, but the PO was a really big guy and it sags slightly to the left.

Both. "Lean" was not specific to model type.

K

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
If you are like me and have way more time than money, you could swap the springs (front or rears or both) side to side and see where that gets you. If the lean changes ,then your springs are the problem. Then spend money

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
If you are like me and have way more time than money, you could swap the springs (front or rears or both) side to side and see where that gets you. If the lean changes ,then your springs are the problem. Then spend money

Front springs replaced about 1 year ago. Lean was present before and after just not as bad after replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK