Trouble Finding Mounting Brackets..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 1979 C10 with a R4 compressor. I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase a new mounting setup for the driver side of my truck.

What year and type of vehicle do I need to be looking for in the graveyard for a replacement? I know some parts are interchangeable with other vehicles so hoping that's the case here..

Hoping I can attempt to find the correct mounting brackets over a weekend.

Or maybe a cheap alternative to change over to a serpentine system that isn't technically too difficult, as I am still finding my way around this beauty.

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
I have a 1979 C10 with a R4 compressor. I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase a new mounting setup for the driver side of my truck.

What year and type of vehicle do I need to be looking for in the graveyard for a replacement? I know some parts are interchangeable with other vehicles so hoping that's the case here..

Hoping I can attempt to find the correct mounting brackets over a weekend.

Or maybe a cheap alternative to change over to a serpentine system that isn't technically too difficult, as I am still finding my way around this beauty.

On the serpentine change over any of the truck's with a 4.3 to a 5.7 will bolt back on your 355 you will need to change the water pump . Swims on this forum has a serpentine set up 4 sale in the wanted sec. As for the v-belt brackets you can get them off anything with the ac comp on the driver head same engines as above . I just sold the brackets off my v-6 sorry

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
On the serpentine change over any of the truck's with a 4.3 to a 5.7 will bolt back on your 355 you will need to change the water pump . Swims on this forum has a serpentine set up 4 sale in the wanted sec. As for the v-belt brackets you can get them off anything with the ac comp on the driver head same engines as above . I just sold the brackets off my v-6 sorry

thank you for the reply I will have to check it out! Ill do some research on the water pump as well. might be worth the extra effort to change over

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
thank you for the reply I will have to check it out! Ill do some research on the water pump as well. might be worth the extra effort to change over

From my understanding if you go to the serpentine belt system, the wp needs to be changed to the newer style because the belt spins it in the opposite direction.

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Guess I just need to slow down and check everything I got once I get back from TDY overseas. Trying to figure out everything so once I am home I can get to work on her. But I keep forgetting things as I am busy here as well.

The serpentine system seems like it will be a good idea I just need to ensure I get everything I need. Just bought the new AC Compressor but seems like with a serpentine system it will not work.

I will continue to read up and try to figure all of this out as I can.

For now all I grasp is I can use it depending if I have the correct holes on the passenger side head. Am I understanding this correctly?

I may just have to keep looking for the driver side mount until I have more time to read and research. I usually make things harder than they need to be lol.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Lol. Nothing wrong with research. Afik the heads should have the same mounting bosses that they always had? Not 100% there, but it's not uncommon for guys to update to the newer belt drive on the older engines, and I've never heard of them having issues.

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I hear ya. Just reading that some of the 70's have issues. So I'll wait till I get home to check it all out and see what is up. Just want everything done NOW! lol. Anxious is all and Georgia Heat is going to kill me if I don't complete the AC soon

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
From what I am gathering I'd need new water pump (reverse spin) and different A/C Compressor? That's if there are no issues with the head.

Is there any advantage to running the serpentine system? I haven't really found anything saying one way or another...

Sorry for the rambling and ranting I am just trying to figure it all out lol

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Lol. I've beem thinking about how I'm going to ad ac to my m1008. I really don't want to give up the space under the hood to the factory ac heater box, so I'm going to see what theVintage Air systems look like installed.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
From what I am gathering I'd need new water pump (reverse spin) and different A/C Compressor? That's if there are no issues with the head.

Is there any advantage to running the serpentine system? I haven't really found anything saying one way or another...

Sorry for the rambling and ranting I am just trying to figure it all out lol

I've never really heard of any huge advantage to the serp belt system. They both have their pros and cons. I've always just ran whatever was on the vehicle when I got it. No real preference for me. I guess in your situation, it would make a difference as to what is still available for your install. If it's just the bracketry your after, just be patient and keep looking, it's out there somewhere. Lines can be made.

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've never really heard of any huge advantage to the serp belt system. They both have their pros and cons. I've always just ran whatever was on the vehicle when I got it. No real preference for me. I guess in your situation, it would make a difference as to what is still available for your install. If it's just the bracketry your after, just be patient and keep looking, it's out there somewhere. Lines can be made.

I put an ad on
http://www.junkyarddog.com

and within the past 10 mins got 3 replies. Just awaiting pictures to confirm it is the correct part. Which I will post here to make sure... since I have never been able to find one I am not sure if it will be the right one lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg