Transmission Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73Blazer

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I'll start by saying that I know practically nothing about transmissions. I have a 1973 Blazer Convertible 4wd with a 350 engine and 350 turbo transmission.

Ive had it a little over a year and it has always had a transmission leak. At first I thought it was coming from the pan. It is leaking there but it seems to be very minor. Next, I thought it was coming from the transfer case where the front drive shaft connects to it. The front drive shaft is removed by the way. Anyways, I got to looking and there are fresh drips pretty much all over the transmission and transfer case. In the front, the leak seems to be coming from higher up and landing on where the front drive shaft should connect. In the rear, it looks like it is dripping from a cable. The leak is pretty serious and there is a pretty large puddle under the truck.

I haven't driven the truck much but I start it weekly and drive it around the block every now and then. Recently, after charging my dead battery, I started it up and when I went to pull forward the truck would barely move. This wasnt a problem when I parked it 2 weeks before. Im guessing it has leaked most or all of the trans fluid out.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge and terminology but I would like to know what steps I should take to diagnose where these leaks are coming from. Any
You must be registered for see images attach
advice would help. I will try to post pics of the leaks that I can see Thanks in advance

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Easies woy to find a leak in my opinion is to clean it all real good. Then top up your trans fluid and add dye parts stores have it. Drive it. Once it starts leaking look at the underside and trans area with a UV light. That should show you the origin of the leak. This way you aren't shot gunning the repair.

73Blazer

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I had no idea they made a dye for that. I will definitely give this a shot. Thank you!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
As far as I know, you can put that dye in anything: engine oil, PS fluid, tranny, brakes, etc.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Reconmendation, take a look at where your transfer case and transmission bolt together. I had a rear U-Joint break on me. The force caused my transfer case to transmission bolts to literally rip out. It took the grooving out from the tranny since it's aluminum. Didn't find out till a week later. Not saying. That's the problem but it was hard to find because it through tranny fluid everywhere all under there. Good luck on your gremlin!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I had no idea they made a dye for that. I will definitely give this a shot. Thank you!
That's what we do here and sweet Blazer gotta love the fully removable top.

73Blazer

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Reconmendation, take a look at where your transfer case and transmission bolt together. I had a rear U-Joint break on me. The force caused my transfer case to transmission bolts to literally rip out. It took the grooving out from the tranny since it's aluminum. Didn't find out till a week later. Not saying. That's the problem but it was hard to find because it through tranny fluid everywhere all under there. Good luck on

My issues could be something similar to this.

When I got the truck, the previous owner brought me the old (dented) drive shaft with a yoke that was destroyed. It also looks like it did some damage at the front wheel. The ujoint, or the part that holds it, is making contact with the bottom castle nut for the ball joint. I can only assume that it was all damaged simultaneously.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I'm certainly jealous! Blazer convertible. ... never even knew they existed!

How high or low is it on the dip stick now... without running? It should be up quite high with the engine off.... once started, it should be in the hash marks, obviously. Sometimes looking at the level before starting it up can be helpful.

73Blazer

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I'm certainly jealous! Blazer convertible. ... never even knew they existed!

How high or low is it on the dip stick now... without running? It should be up quite high with the engine off.... once started, it should be in the hash marks, obviously. Sometimes looking at the level before starting it up can be helpful.

Thanks. Its an awesome truck. I can't wait to get it back to health.

I checked the trans fluid with a cold engine. It reads pretty high that way.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Well that's good then.... the level very high means you didn't lose too much. With truck running, check level, and if the level is within cross hatch or below level.... you'll know that at least the pump should be fine, a major & important component within the trans.

Just trying to help narrow down where your issue may be.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Need to check level while running and hot due to heat expansion, best to have level in the middle between the full and add marks, that way there's less chance for fluid to get up into the rotating mass..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Need to check level while running and hot due to heat expansion, best to have level in the middle between the full and add marks, that way there's less chance for fluid to get up into the rotating mass..
Rumors.......lmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL