Transmission ID and clutch suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrewJuBee

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 1987 GMC 3500 dually with a dump bed w/ pto. My clutch just went out and I need help identifying what tranny is in it and what clutch kit would work best for me. I use it for hauling wood in excess of 8,000 lbs.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Probably an sm465, with a 12" clutch disc. How many gears does the trans have? Post a pic of the shifter too, it'll narrow down the possibilities.

DrewJuBee

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's a 4 spd with a granny

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Thanks for the ID, any suggestions on a clutch kit?

It should be a 12" disc for that application. Outside of that, I would try to stick to OEM. That's just always been my choice. That doesn't mean you need to pay through the nose for dealership part pricing, but you'll need to do a little homework to find out who makes the clutches for GM, and get a kit form them. I know that EXIDY has been the source for some manufacturers, and possibly LUK too.

DrewJuBee

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It should be a 12" disc for that application. Outside of that, I would try to stick to OEM. That's just always been my choice. That doesn't mean you need to pay through the nose for dealership part pricing, but you'll need to do a little homework to find out who makes the clutches for GM, and get a kit form them. I know that EXIDY has been the source for some manufacturers, and possibly LUK too.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128