Trailer axle flip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I was given an old camper. Has 2 axles and a light duty frame. I almost have the frame stripped to clean and paint in the spring. I plan on adding reinforcements to the frame as well. Its just going to be a wood hauler for me mostly or the occasional load of whatever. Nothing very heavy. As it sits its too low to tow to where i cut wood. I need more clearance with it. The axles on it now are drop axles. Can i unbolt the wheel hub assembly and rotate the axle 180 degrees so it becomes a lift axle?
You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Is there a mount between the axle and spring like a rear has? If so I’d cut them off and resell them on the other side of the tube that would give you what like 6-8” lift. I’d also devise a way to connect the axles to keep them from rolling. I know how Wood gathering goes the more you can carry at one shot the better and you wouldn’t want an axle rolling over on you.

Last edited:

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I was given an old camper. Has 2 axles and a light duty frame. I almost have the frame stripped to clean and paint in the spring. I plan on adding reinforcements to the frame as well. Its just going to be a wood hauler for me mostly or the occasional load of whatever. Nothing very heavy. As it sits its too low to tow to where i cut wood. I need more clearance with it. The axles on it now are drop axles. Can i unbolt the wheel hub assembly and rotate the axle 180 degrees so it becomes a lift axle?

I've got an old camper trailer only has one axle but the I was wondering the same thing seemed like it would work.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yes you can flip the axle. The axle perches are usually welded to the axle itself (flat spot mounts where the leaf springs will sit flat on axle tube without rolling within the u bolts). To flip the axle (mount the axle under the laef packs rather than on top as it is now)....disconnect the u bolts and wiring...and just place the leaf perches under the leaf springs. The u bolts and plates are simply re-installed upside down with the hardware facing upwards rather than facing the pavement as they currently are.

I had to flip both of my axles on my fifth wheel toyhauler in order to make the trailer sit higher to be level with my tow rig as it had a 6" lift. The flipping of the axle also allowed for more ground clearance....but with high cross winds and top heavy...keep an eye on your speed and load characteristics.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
If the axle does not have flat perches, I would recommend welding some in place to keep the axle from rolling within the u bolts. Sometimes people have rotated the axle so when mounted under the leaf packs...the driver side tire and the passenger side tire are flip flopped...basically running the tire in reverse. This is done if the axle tubes are pre-arched for weight. Under load the pre-arched axles flex downward and become flat.. if the axles do not have an arch to them, it should be easy to just place it under the leaf pack . If the axles are arched and just "flipped"...your tire will wear excessively (negative camber) and you will lose weight carrying capacity.

Of course...if the axles don't have leaf perches...it should be straight forward and easy to flip. Rv and trailer shops flip axles all of the time, but they charge big bucks to do it. Just be sure of course to support the frame with jack stands that will allow enough height to pull the axles.

Last edited:

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Most likely this trailer will never see over 45 nor will it see the highway. It would just be getting towed 20 miles round trip maybe twice a month. Half the trip is gravel roads and the other half is through the pastures to get to where i cut wood

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Under load the pre-arched axles flex downward and become flat.. if the axles do not have an arch to them, it should be easy to just place it under the leaf pack . If the axles are arched and just "flipped"...your tire will wear excessively (negative camber) and you will lose weight carrying capacity.

Yes, make sure to check for an arch, it should be pretty obvious. On my car trailer, there is probably close to an inch or more rise if I run a straight edge from hub to hub. If there is an arch (and there probably is), you will have to bend the axle to reverse the arch to the other side.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
For trailer axles that are arched there is another option I've used on my 5th wheel and my dad's 5th wheel to level out the trailer to our towing rigs.

Dexter axle makes a spring over/under conversion kit. Yes, you can make everything yourself but I found the kit simple and easy to use. It is around $45 depending on axle tube diameter. They have a 2-3/8" axle tube diameter kit and a 3" diameter kit.

The kit has a new spring perch. You use threaded stand-offs to make sure the new spring perch is parallel to the old. Then you can weld it, or not. Choice is yours.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Dexter-Axle/K71-384-00.html

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
For trailer axles that are arched there is another option I've used on my 5th wheel and my dad's 5th wheel to level out the trailer to our towing rigs.

Dexter axle makes a spring over/under conversion kit. Yes, you can make everything yourself but I found the kit simple and easy to use. It is around $45 depending on axle tube diameter. They have a 2-3/8" axle tube diameter kit and a 3" diameter kit.

The kit has a new spring perch. You use threaded stand-offs to make sure the new spring perch is parallel to the old. Then you can weld it, or not. Choice is yours.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Dexter-Axle/K71-384-00.html
I think thats the solution im going to use. Came out today and pulled the axle in the front. After some grunts and groans lifted the front of the frame to where i could put them back under flipped and the height was crazy. The ball was in the middle of my stomach with no tires yet. Not cool lol. I need the happy medium where its tall enough not to drag ass going through the draws but not so tall the kids can climb on it. If the cant that means i get stuck stacking the fire wood. Thats just unacceptable haha. This kit will be perfect untill i can afford 2 new straight axles.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Depending on what hubs and bearings the axels you have use, you might be able to just replace the axels, and re-use your current hubs and bearings. Tractor Supply, and Runnings carry bare axles. Redneck trailer north of Denver also carries a variety of axles or can make one to your specs, and are usually cheaper than the farm stores.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. Ill look into it. Ive been needing an excuse to get down to Colorado anyway to see some friends.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey