Tool truck franchises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Has anybody here ever looked into a tool truck franchise? I'm thinking this over and looking for input from those who may be in the know. At this point I am just doing research into the different companies and opportunities. I know a couple guys that do or have done it but they do a real good job of speaking the party line.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I looked into Snap-On years ago, our local Snap-On guy has way to much territory to work. I can't for the life of me remember why I didn't do it. Maybe scared of change? Hell I can't recall, but it seemed like it was a good deal, IIR it was a 15,000 buy in. You had to buy your own truck, and set it up on the inside. They gave you a route, and a customer list.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I understand all those points already. Still working out the down payment. I'm looking at the big 3 and have ruled out Cornwell for now. The thought of being on the hook for my own success is a bit scary but I feel better about this now than I did a while ago. I have the customer service skills and a love for the tools that makes me better about trying something like this. These companies have protected areas of around 350 customers. I hope that is individual techs and not shops because I can't for the life of me figure how you visit 70 shops a day on average.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I work with a guy, he helped his son last year becoming a MAC salesman. I know MAC helps out there new people a lot. The other MAC dealers help out the newer dealers. I think he's doing very well. It's taking that big step, and fear of the unknown is a big stopper of some. You'll never fail, if you never try. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. I'm trying to motivate you, into doing it. I have a bad head ache don't know if I'm helping.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I understand all those points already. Still working out the down payment. I'm looking at the big 3 and have ruled out Cornwell for now. The thought of being on the hook for my own success is a bit scary but I feel better about this now than I did a while ago. I have the customer service skills and a love for the tools that makes me better about trying something like this. These companies have protected areas of around 350 customers. I hope that is individual techs and not shops because I can't for the life of me figure how you visit 70 shops a day on average.
If I can lend some advice as a previous tool buyer. Don’t be a pest tools sell themselves. We had a Matco guy The was a fricken pest and we pretty much ran him off. Also shitting on someone’s already owned tools will get you negative selling results as well.

Reactions: WFO

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
If I can lend some advice as a previous tool buyer. Don’t be a pest tools sell themselves. We had a Matco guy The was a fricken pest and we pretty much ran him off. Also shitting on someone’s already owned tools will get you negative selling results as well.

I completely agree with that. Don't ever down grade a tool somebody already owns. 1. They might be testing your caricature. 2. It might be their favorite tool, and you just talked **** about it.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels

Just my own opinion, which may not help me with any of the franchisers, is that no one has the best tools across the board. Each probably has the best at something but at that level they are all worthy. I'm not a salesman, the product will sell itself. There is nothing to be gained by badmouthing anyone's products. Seems to me the way you would be successful in this business is by developing relationships and that takes time. Without the relationship there is no trust and without trust you have nothing.

While I enjoy tools, I am no expert. I'm not the one turning wrenches on a daily basis. How do I walk in to your place of business and tell you what you need. I figure I get to know you and you will let me know what you need. I may show you something new, but pushing anything is just not my style.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
A couple of things I can add from years of buying; don't load up the truck with trinkets, toys, candy and beef jerky. I've had a couple of tool guys who did that. We're not there to buy that ****, and it just ties up room thatcould be used for tools. Don't fall into the trap of being the "big toolbox" seller. We had a Mac guy start out, and he was wheeling and dealing toolboxes in the beginning, always had a new plaque proclaiming some sales mark achievement. The problem it creates, is that it maxes your credit with the company out on big ticket items, and you can't properly stock the truck with the tools you'll need to have the most; i.e. warranty stuff like sockets, wrenches, ratchets, and other commonly misused hand tools. Whatever company you do choose, you'll need to become their biggest fan. Not in the **** talk the other guys way (at least notuntil you're established and know your clientele better) but talk up all the new gizmos they bring out asap. I'm not a Mac fan, I always found a lot of their stuff to be kind of gimmicky, but the guy we had was alway excited to show off the latest and greatest the company came up with. I'm sure I can think of more later, it's early yet.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I noticed a Snap-On truck outside my workplace one day and got the 'kid in a candy store' feeling. The guy was just taking care of paperwork. He had a 'retro' toolbox that he let me make payments on and I bought a few other tools from him. He said his truck and contents were worth about $100K. Nice fellow, never pushed anything, had all the answers and said he made a fair living from it.

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
Years ago we had a snap on dealer retire and it was 6 or 7 months before we got a new guy. When he started coming around in his new shiny truck he had one thing on his truck that had us all talking and dealing with him right away. He had a project board where he had pics of his Camaro project . it was a cork board and if you had a project going he asked for a pic or 2 for it if you was looking for a part or sealing some thing we could put it on a index card on the board . Soon he was out sealing the Mac Matco and Cornwell men . He didn't push new tools he had them laying on the counter so we could look and play with them. He openly would tell you he had tools from the other tool trucks in his personal tool box . so I say go for it just remember where you come from and where your tool love was started.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I noticed a Snap-On truck outside my workplace one day and got the 'kid in a candy store' feeling. The guy was just taking care of paperwork. He had a 'retro' toolbox that he let me make payments on and I bought a few other tools from him. He said his truck and contents were worth about $100K. Nice fellow, never pushed anything, had all the answers and said he made a fair living from it.
Yep, good tools will sell themselves. A good tool guy will find out what you're working on and point you towards the tools that'll make the job easier.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Its's a lot of hours, everyone I know that was a dealer said they worked/ gone from home 12 hours a day Mon. - Fri sometimes on Sat and it just becomes to much for alot of people.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Its's a lot of hours, everyone I know that was a dealer said they worked/ gone from home 12 hours a day Mon. - Fri sometimes on Sat and it just becomes to much for alot of people.

The time investment is more important than the financial and both are stressful. 9-5 just won't cut it at the BYOB game.

My Favorite Snap-on guy was an ex-USDA inspector and had heard and seen everything. He made deals that were fair and never balked at a warranty. He never bothered a tech in the midst of battle, but didn't let the payments get behind. When he got up in years (he was already retired from the USDA) he started making bookkeeping errors and the bad attitude followed. He offered to train me on the truck and finance my purchasing it (payments + balloon) but my path went elsewhere. His replacement was a total jerk and To this day I do not buy Snap-on.

The old guy told me you have to have a bartender's mentality and gift of gab.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The time investment is more important than the financial and both are stressful. 9-5 just won't cut it at the BYOB game.

My Favorite Snap-on guy was an ex-USDA inspector and had heard and seen everything. He made deals that were fair and never balked at a warranty. He never bothered a tech in the midst of battle, but didn't let the payments get behind. When he got up in years (he was already retired from the USDA) he started making bookkeeping errors and the bad attitude followed. He offered to train me on the truck and finance my purchasing it (payments + balloon) but my path went elsewhere. His replacement was a total jerk and To this day I do not buy Snap-on.

The old guy told me you have to have a bartender's mentality and gift of gab.

Sounds like he was cut from the same cloth as my Snap-On dealer, he finally had to stop last year due to cancer. Damn shame too. He could take the ball busting as good as he could give it. We always looked forward to bs'ing on the truck for a few minutes every Wednesday. Hell, I was still buying from him up until he had to give it up, and I've been out of the repair profession for almost 5 years now

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I figured the hours would be longer, but that comes with owning your own business. I agree with all the extras on the truck. I keep seeing sunglasses displays and refridgerators on trucks and that has me scratching my head. The tool truck is a rolling candy store, I get that, but not THAT kind of candy. The sunglasses I kinda get as there may be a relationship with that company but I've never walked onto a tool truck and wondered if he had a new pair of shades for me.

Respect seems to be the big thing. Respect thier time. Respect thier intelligence. Respect thier space. These guys will know, for the most part, what they want or need. I don't need to tell them what they need and I don't need to get in thier face to do my job.

This is still a research project. I have a few things to get in order before I could do this anyway but it is good to see what others are thinking from experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54